Wednesday, Oct. 9

From Spain to Bloomington, Menendez follows in Campillo’s footsteps

golf

To say the game of golf is an international sport, one does not have to look any further than the leaderboard from the Masters a few weeks ago.

Of the 48 players who made the cut at Augusta National, 22 were not from the United States.

The influence of international players can be seen at the college level, and even in the IU men’s golf team.

Last year marked the end of a historic career for IU golfer Jorge Campillo, a native of Caceres, Spain.

Campillo ended his four-year career as a two-time All-American, was runner-up at the 2008 NCAA Championships and has the second-lowest scoring average in IU history.
IU coach Mike Mayer has tapped into Spain once again with 2010 signee Hugo Menendez.

“We have a great relationship with the people in Spain, and they know what we are all about at Indiana,” Mayer said. “We take care of our players, and we follow up with our commitments to the players.”

A native of Gijon, Spain, Menendez is currently enrolled at IU and is sitting out the 2010 spring semester before becoming eligible in the fall.

“The recruiting process for Hugo was probably a little different for him than any player I have ever had,” Mayer said. “I was able to get a lot of information and video on Hugo, because I did not get a chance to go to Europe and watch him play.”

This summer, Menendez recorded top-five finishes at both the Spanish National Amateur and the Spanish National U-18 Championships.

Mayer said he was very comfortable with the information he was receiving from people in Spain and that the results spoke for themselves.

Besides speaking with Mayer, one of the most important factors in the recruitment of Menendez was his conversation with Campillo.

“The fact that Jorge Campillo was here and he talked to me a lot about IU and how it worked,” Menendez said. “I feel like the project the coaches are doing here is really good, and the team is going to be really good next year.”

The facility at the IU Golf Course was Menendez’s main reason for choosing IU instead of Coastal Carolina and Ohio State.

Even though the weather in Indiana forces Menendez and his teammates to practice inside for a few months of the year, he said the practice facilities at IU were the best he has seen.

The IU Golf Team Center finished construction earlier this season and is now open to both the men’s and women’s golf teams. The amenities at the center include a 175-yard-long short-game area along with a team indoor facility with a putting green, studying areas and lounges for the student athletes.

“This is another big step for the golf programs at IU,” Mayer said. “To have a home where we can meet, study, socialize and recruit is a big asset for both programs.”

Despite not seeing Menendez in person before he arrived on IU’s campus, it did not take long for Mayer to see similarities between his newest Spaniard and Campillo.

“He has great feel, and his short game is very reminiscent of Jorge Campillo,” Mayer said. “He has some of the softest hands I have ever seen, and he knows how to golf his ball.”

The decision to sit out the spring semester was a mutual one between Mayer and Menendez. Adjusting to life on and off the course was the major factor for allowing Menendez to sit out the spring semester.

“We really felt that he was going to take four-and-a-half years to graduate anyway,” Mayer said. “Coming in and playing for a half year and using a whole year of eligibility, we didn’t think made much sense.”

The time off from competition has allowed Menendez to focus on improving his game and gaining valuable experience from his teammates.

“I would prefer to be playing, but I think it is much better for me to be studying English and coming from Spain I needed some adapting time,” Menendez said. “I try to look up to the other players on the team because I think I can learn some things from them in how they practice and play.”

With the graduation of All-Big Ten Player Alex Martin, at least one spot will be open in the Hoosiers lineup next fall.

Mayer said he believes the semester off for Menendez will give him the necessary time to adjust to life as a Division I student-athlete.

“I think he has a better understanding of college golf, and we can’t wait till next fall when he can tee it up.”