Monday, Sept. 30

Hot summer spots in B-town

As a certified “townie,” I’m always confronted with the same state of shock when I introduce myself as “Kyrie Shepley, from Bloomington.” I’m amazed at how many students never leave the campus bubble and miss out on the rest of Monroe County. The bars might be dead, but the rest of Bloomington is alive and well.

As you slave away this summer taking classes and holding jobs, I’ll be leading you through the streets beyond Kirkwood and Walnut via “A townie’s guide to Bloomington’s finest.”

This week, I’m starting with my “Top 10 things you must do while in Btown this summer.” Here we go:

1. Plan a “lake day”
For townies, renting a 12- to 24-person pontoon is a necessity for surviving a Bloomington summer. A day on Lake Monroe can be reminiscent of Craig Morgan’s song, “Redneck Yacht Club,” but do not fear, it’s worth the cost. Hints: Saturday is the busiest day because many visitors migrate for the weekend to camp or boat. Also, make sure to plan ahead to reserve a spot. Visit www.lakemonroeboatrental.webs.com to learn more.

2. Attend a concert in Indy
Although Bloomington has a marvelous music scene, you can find bigger names in Indianapolis. There are three major music venues: Verizon Wireless Music Center, White River State Park and Old National Centre, aka the Murat Theater. Some famous names coming this summer are Dave Matthews Band, Eric Clapton, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Phish and John Mayer.

3. Shop at Edinburgh Outlet Mall
I almost don’t want to give this secret away! If you’re tired of College Mall and Kirkwood, take a day trip to Edinburgh Premium Outlets. Edinburgh offers brand names not available in Bloomington. As you probably know, outlet malls are notorious for offering big brands and lower costs, and the same is true at Edinburgh. It’s worth the 40 minute-drive. Edinburgh outlet mall is located at 11622 N.E. Executive Drive, Edinburgh, Ind., 46124.

4. Attend Bloomington’s weekly Farmers’ Market
Every Saturday, local farmers set up individual stations and sell products from their farms. On a sunny day, the Farmers’ Market draws a large crowd of people from surrounding counties. Some of my favorite items are the local honey, homemade sweet popcorn and corn on the cob.

5. Trip to French Lick
French Lick is a great evening or weekend getaway just two hours south of Bloomington. French Lick casino and the famous West Baden Springs Hotel boast an extravagant gambling experience and an indoor water park. Even if you’re not 21, these two destinations are full of entertainment. Visit their website for prices, location and events: www.frenchlick.com.

6. Disc Golf
Disc Golf combines the rules of golf with the art of throwing a  Frisbee. You can buy these discs at the 420 store at 107 N. Dunn St. or Dick’s Sporting Goods in College Mall. Both Sherwood Oaks and Karst Farm Park offer nine holes and open landscapes. Sherwood Oaks is located at 2700 E. Rogers Road and Karst Farm Park is at 2450 S. Endwright Road.

7. Explore Griffy Lake
Griffy Lake is just a short trek away and offers a small lake, dog park and miles of hiking trails. According to their website, it costs $6 per hour to rent a canoe, boat or kayak for the day. Many locals take their dogs beyond the dam at Griffy to a wide-open space for dogs to run, swim and meet other four-legged friends. My 8-month-old Boxer, Ringo, thoroughly enjoys the dog park at Griffy.

8. Eat and drink
I know this one is a given, but I love being in my hometown during the summer. Take advantage of less traffic around town and more elbow room at Kilroy’s. Remember, restaurants in Bloomington stretch far beyond campus limits. Try Sweet Grass, at 405 W. Patterson Drive, or Domo, at 106 S. Franklin Road. If you’re feeling extra adventurous, go bowling at one of the many bowling alleys, which offer drink specials and fried foods.

9. Swim and sunbathe at a public pool
Bloomington has three public pools: IU Outdoor Pool, Bryan Park Pool and Mills Pool. I would recommend the IU Pool on weekdays and the Bryan Park Pool during the weekends to avoid the summer camp crowd. However, a day at the public pools will cost you, but if there’s no pool at your apartment complex, it might be worth the trip to take a dip. The IU pool is located on the corner of 17th Street and Fee Lane. Bryan Park Pool is located at 1100 S. Woodlawn Ave.

10. Spend a day in Brown County
Brown County is about a 20-minute drive from campus, and it’s one of the most scenic routes in Indiana. Nashville, Ind., is a quaint town filled with restaurants and several strips of unique shops and all of them are locally owned. If you go, try the homemade fudge at Schwab’s Fudge.