Monday, Sept. 30

Quest for the best date night

This summer, my mission through this column is to give insider information on how to truly enjoy spending time in Bloomington.

Every other week, I’ll feature my favorite picks in my “quest for the best” outings and places in Bloomington. Many of you will earn your degrees and venture outside of Indiana, but while you’re here, I hope you’re soaking up the diverse, rich culture that probably drew you here in the first place.

This week, I’m on a quest for the best date night in Bloomington.

I believe a successful date night happens when you create an experience. Make your next date night more than just a conversation about majors at a chain restaurant you can find anywhere.

After some research and a trip down memory lane, I’ve come to the conclusion that the best date night in Bloomington is dining at the Scenic View restaurant followed by a visit to the “cutouts,” all near Lake Monroe.

The Scenic View re-opened last year during Memorial Day weekend.

The restaurant is perched atop a hill overlooking a panoramic view of Lake Monroe and the trees that surround it. Expansive windows and outdoor seating create an experience that you and a date couldn’t help but appreciate.

The Scenic View serves a variety of entrees, including salmon served with wild rice and roasted potatoes, a gourmet cheeseburger on a pretzel bun and handmade pasta dishes.

The atmosphere at the Scenic View is intimate and tranquil, ideal for a date night.

After the Scenic View Restaurant, drive south of the Lake Monroe dam to find what locals call the “cutouts.” This open area enclosed by a mountainous hill is meant to be a spillway for the lake to flow into in case of flooding.

Many townies use the cutouts as a place to laze under the sky and look out at the lake.

There’s also a small fire pit that locals have formed atop the hill overlooking the lake.
This date night, in my opinion, would create an experience to remember rather than doing the usual dinner and a movie.

I give you permission to steal my idea and go on an adventure in Bloomington next time you plan a date night.