Monday, Sept. 30

Add to your summer to-do list: Downtown GalleryWalk

Did you know Bloomington’s downtown area is host to nine different art galleries?

All nine exhibits differ in style and medium of art, and each serve as an outlet for local and regional artists.

Although many of the galleries are open to the public every day of the week, the city of Bloomington and several local arts and entertainment organizations came up with the idea for Downtown GalleryWalk.

The Downtown GalleryWalk happens every two months and invites patrons to explore the diversity of Bloomington through original artwork. All of the featured galleries are within walking distance from one another and stay open late for the occasion.

The galleries featured on the Downtown GalleryWalk include Bellevue Gallery, Gallery North on the Square, The Venue Fine Art & Gifts, By Hand Gallery, Glorious Moments Fine Art Gallery, The Waldron Galleries & Gift Shop, gallery 406, Pictura Gallery and the Wandering Turtle Art Gallery & Gifts.

It is my opinion that the Downtown GalleryWalk was created in order to revive the arts community in Bloomington after a few financially tough years for local organizations like the John Waldron Arts Center. The move to push Bloomington back into the limelight as an arts destination has taken effect throughout the community already.

The first Downtown GalleryWalk took place Feb. 5, and the next is on Aug. 6. But don’t wait until then to experience the rich talent of Bloomington’s artists. Be it crafts, paintings or jewelry, you’re sure to find a unique gift or an arousing spark of the imagination.

More information on the galleries mentioned in this column can be found at www.visitbloomington.com/galleries and www.gallerywalkbloomington.com.