Sunday, Sept. 29

Back-to-back Bartlett

Amid rows of CDs and vinyl, people lined up to see Damien Jurado perform the first of two concerts Saturday.

His new album, “Saint Bartlett,” dropped May 25 and is the catalyst for a continental tour stretching across the country and the calendar.

Bloomington’s favorite record shop, Landlocked Music, played host to Jurado in the early afternoon at no charge to the fans. Everyone noticed the heat, but worries seemed to slip away under the fragile acoustic of Jurado’s songwriting.

Unaccompanied, the musician played a range of songs, including a solo performance of “Arkansas” and a recently written tribute to a Chicago poet, among other hits.

“The concert was very intimate,” graduate student McKenzie Beverage said. Beverage, like many of the fans, planned on attending both shows.

Later that evening, once the rain broke the heat, The Bishop invited Jurado to play another set. This time, he wasn’t alone.

Members of the opening band Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground teamed up with Jurado to form what the tour poster called “The Saint Bartlett Band.” They were deserving of the title, too. The musicians played Saint Bartlett nearly song-for-song, accurately and passionately.

Jurado’s full band included drums, guitar, piano, bass and backup vocals. Even the faint, ambient static of “Kansas City” was reproduced flawlessly by an electric guitar.
The audience gazed on the stage from standing and sitting positions, respectfully quiet while the band showcased the album, seamlessly making the transition from track to track.

After the show, Jurado could be found in front of the venue, catching up with grateful fans and conversing in a light drizzle of rain. The audience was thankful for such an extended affair and Jurado’s dedication, catering to the schedules of the town.

“Back in Seattle this kind of stuff doesn’t happen,” Jurado said of the recent storms.
The weather didn’t hold the town back, though; both venues were packed with Jurado and Saint Bartlett disciples.