Sunday, Sept. 29

Handmade goes high fashion; global trend seen locally

Remember when your grandmother sat down with a roll of yarn and a needle and created something spectacular within an hour?  

The same craftsmanship Grandma showed then is now being seen in the summer 2010 collections of Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, and Marni. What these designers have started is a handmade revolution.  

Chanel showed crocheted dresses and jackets for its spring 2010 runway show, Dolce & Gabbana now features knitted undergarments, and Marni is supporting needlecrafts with its crocheted handbags.  

But those of us who cannot afford $925 knit undergarments from D&G will have to seek more affordable alternatives. Here in Bloomington, there is hope for craft finds like those spotted on summer runways.  

In local shops and art galleries, there are many opportunities to discover handmade and crocheted items. Crochet is an abundant art at Yarns Unlimited, located at 101 E. Kirkwood Ave., Suite 109. Knitted and felted items from designer Jennifer Peterson are fresh and funky for summer, and the lightweight cotton boucle yarn used by designer Robin Edmundson is perfectly suited for summer’s hot days and lukewarm nights.  

With all the store offers, Yarns Unlimited can keep you chic without breaking the bank. Moreover, a trip to Wandering Turtle Art Gallery and Gifts, located at 116 W. 6th St., offers another affordable option for these summertime trends. It features Tizo silver solder jewelry starting at $14 and hand-blown glass pendants by Brent Thackery, as well as polymer clay jewelry by Joyce Fritz.

So with a little effort and some support for local talent, you can end up with a beautifully crafted piece of clothing or jewelry and look just like a Chanel model for much less.