Monday, Sept. 30

Quest for the best lunch stop between classes

Stefano’s Ice Cafe made my “quest for the best” this week because it offers fresh foods at a fair price, notable service and a relaxing atmosphere for studying or meeting a friend for lunch or coffee.

Stefano’s is nestled on the lower level in Fountain Square Mall, on Walnut Street between Fourth Street and Kirkwood Avenue.

If you haven’t been inside Fountain Square Mall, this place is probably obscure to you — and you’re missing out.

I learned about Stefano’s and its owner’s incredible story while I interned in Fountain Square Mall with Finelight Inc., a local advertising agency. I ate there at least once a week, and my favorite dishes were the BLT and the Mandarin Feta Cheese Salad.
A pile of lettuce is topped with tomatoes, mandarin oranges, black olives, blocks of feta cheese, red onions, toasted slivered almonds and Stefano’s house dressing.
The cafe serves breakfast, hot paninis, gourmet cheeseburgers, salmon, soups, iced and hot coffee, ice cream and a slew of pastries made fresh daily.

I think that’s why I love Stefano’s. Whatever kind of food mood you’re in, this restaurant can most likely cater to it. The cafe is open seven days a week, with free delivery in the downtown area.

Another reason I urge you to experience Stefano’s is because of the outstanding service. The owner, Ahmad Popalyar, and his wife take orders and prepare meals with smiles on their faces and a genuine interest in their customers every time.

Popalyar has recently made local news for his book, “The Destruction of Invasion and its Side Effects.” The story was told by Popalyar and written by his co-worker, Delores Bell. After reading the book, I found his story of life in Afghanistan and misconceptions of both Americans and Afghans compelling.

If you’re between classes and looking for a lunch to go or a place to study and fill your belly, I suggest you try Stefano’s.

If you enjoy Stefano’s Ice Cafe, you should try one of Bloomington’s other cafes.

Cafe Django

Located at 116 N. Grant St., Cafe Django serves authentic Asian food with a fresh and healthy flare. This cafe also features local and regional jazz musicians on some evenings.

The Pourhouse Cafe

All profits made at 314 E. Kirkwood Ave. benefit causes ranging from orphanages in Guatemala to the Monroe County Community School Corporation. The coffee is imported from all over the world.

Casablanca Cafe

One of the only Mediterranean/Moroccan restaurants in Bloomington, Casablanca offers not only authentic Mediterranean cuisine but a lively atmosphere. Located at 402 E. Fourth St., Casablanca can easily be recognized by its large white tents that house outdoor seating.

The Laughing Planet Cafe

This cafe features mouth-watering vegetarian dishes and is located at 322 E. Kirkwood Ave. If you’re looking for a light lunch or something more substantial than fast food, this place will blow your mind with its variety.

Le Petit Cafe

This French bistro is located at 308 W. Sixth St. and offers filling dishes along with heartwarming service from the married co-owners. What’s unique about Le Petit Cafe is that the menu changes daily, and the chef buys only what looks fresh at the market.