Monday, Sept. 30

Although satisfying, 'Salt' leaves you thirst for a sequel

salty

Angelina Jolie. We know her character oh, so well: the unbelievably attractive female who somehow always has a gun.

We’ve seen her defeating evil in “Tomb Raider” and curving bullets in “Wanted” — and who could forget her sultry performance in “Mr. & Mrs. Smith”?

She now has returned to the big screen in the American action thriller “Salt.”

Directed by Phillip Noyce, this might be Jolie’s best action movie thus far. The lead role was originally secured for Tom Cruise but was ultimately (and wisely) rewritten for Jolie.

I know what you’re thinking (I thought it, too): “Another action film with Jolie? Aren’t they all the same?”

Although her typical role appears monotonous, after watching the movie, I was forced to bite my tongue.

The movie opens with CIA agent Evelyn Salt (Jolie) interrogating Orvol (Daniel Olbrychski), a Russian defector. Orvol says he has come to deliver a message; he informs the CIA that “Day X,” an operation that will lead to the destruction of the United States, is drawing near.

He continues on, explaining that at the funeral of the late vice president in New York City the Russian president will be killed by a trained Russian spy — and unveiling that the spy’s name is Evelyn Salt.

Soon after the CIA hears this, chaos breaks loose as Salt flees from the building. Although she appears guilty trying to escape from headquarters, she swears she is innocent and that someone is setting her up.

The CIA doesn’t buy it, so Salt is forced to outrun the authorities.

For the next 90 minutes, the plot takes more turns than the Indy 500. Just when you think you know whose side the once-blonde-now-brunette Salt is on, the film proves you wrong.

Action movies are typically pretty predictable, but this plot has viewers on the edge of their seats, guessing the entire time which characters can be trusted and which can’t.
The acting is great, the suspense is even better and the ending will leave you speechless (and praying for a sequel).