Sunday, Sept. 29

America’s Best Pageant scouts “natural beauty”

Hopeful queens and kings of all ages to compete

ffg

America’s Best Pageant & Model Showcase is coming to Bloomington this weekend to celebrate “natural beauty.”

Registration for the pageant begins at 1 p.m. and the pageant starts at 2 p.m. Sunday in College Mall.

Contestants will participate in a preliminary beauty pageant that recognizes everyone who enters.

“We want their experience to be positive and make sure that everyone gets an award,” Indiana Director Lisa Boyer said. “We let them know that they did win just by participating, having the courage to get up there and doing their personal best.”
Judges are looking for the “natural beauty” of these hopefuls.

The judges have only two categories on their score sheets: facial beauty and personality, Boyer said.

To America’s Best, “natural beauty” is found both inside and out.

“Contestants should look age-appropriate, be wearing a genuine smile and have a positive attitude,” Boyer said.

Boyer said no scores will be given for extravagant hair, makeup or attire.
“We want newer contestants to be able to compete with experienced girls on the same playing field,” director Angela Smith said. “In other pageants, they might be disadvantaged.”

One effect of this, Boyer said, is that no participants walk away feeling bad about themselves.

A king, queen or both will be chosen in each of the 15 age groups, ranging from babies to those who are “16-up.”

Beyond showing up, Boyer said, “the only preparations are to register and be yourself.”

Although the competition does not require contestants to move on, those who place are able to compete in the annual national pageant competition, which takes place Aug. 20 to 22 in Louisville, Ky.

Additional prizes for placing include a crown, banner, plaque and a $50 savings bond. A $100 discount from registration fees for nationals and two titles are given to those who attend nationals as well.

Despite these perks, many participate just for the fun and the family experience.

“America’s Best Pageants have been a really good thing for us,” said Gina LeGrand, pageant mom of 7-year-old Jacy. “Just like anything else your child does, if it continues to be something she loves, we may consider National Pageants. So far, she has made a lot of new friends, and it’s given her a lot of self-confidence. It’s something her and I can do together, but mostly it’s a lot of fun.”

The pageant does not require experience, training or much money. It is a way to get started down a path children or their parents might have been curious about.

“Our overall mission is to allow newer contestants to get involved without spending a lot of money,” Smith said. “We want them to be able to try it out and see if it’s something they’re interested in.”

And because experience is not necessary for this pageant, everyone can enjoy the experience, Boyer said.

“It’s real stress-free and provides lots of memories,” Boyer said. “It’s something that a lot of people have always thought about, but most people worry that they don’t have any kind of experience. I always tell them that they’re going to be in good company because most of the other people that come don’t either.”

Because the pageant does not focus on hair, tans or makeup, it has “real” appeal.

“The cool thing about it is it’s not a big glitzy pageant — it’s not fake,” LeGrand said. “It’s an easy way for kids to get dressed up and have a good time. I like that the first time Jacy was in one she won an award. They just make everyone feel really special.”