Monday, Sept. 30

Different kind of audio-‘Book’

booksys

Experimental duo The Books pave a pleasurable path of sound from beginning to end in their most recent release, “The Way Out.”

The Books’ fourth album gives the listener an earful of ups and downs dabbling all over the musical sphere. While the duo stays in its mashed-up, recognizable pattern of production, it explores its ground in the most creative of styles.

Kicking off the track list with familiar territory, the first song of the disc, “Group Autogenics I,” builds anticipation for what the other 13 songs hold. The track “A Cold Freezin’ Night” peppers a child’s voice over frantic beats and the sound of sharp laser beams, allowing it to bounce between the realm of the humorous and the disturbing.
A definite gem, “The Beautiful People” feels dreamlike and melodic with its acoustic plucking and haunting vocals.

Listening to this album begs an open mind with the intent to sit back and absorb every last note for what it is.

While the intensity of their sound could be a bit much for a first time listener, The Books’ energy on the album provides a thoroughly enjoyable experience.

This is the perfect blend of electronic, acoustic and folk, while creating an ambiance that’s an entity in itself.