Sunday, Sept. 29

Hottest UVA, UVB protection yet

The combination of summer leisure and global warming could be dangerous — and news stations across the United States are already predicting July to be the hottest month of this year’s summer season.

Taking advantage of the sun while still remaining protected from burns and heat-related sickness can be hard to do, so it isn’t surprising that there are many creative (and at times expensive) options people turn to for sun protection.

For skin, there are a variety of sunblocks and SPF creams on the market that are reasonably priced but undoubtedly pack a strong defense against UVA and/or UVB rays. The first is Coppertone’s UltraGuard Continuous Spray Sunscreen with SPF 70+ for about $8 at any drug store.

With the eve of sunblock sprays, I think my good old days of spreading chalky white gunk on myself are far past. A spray mist like this can cover a larger area of skin and spread more evenly over the skin’s surface than a hand-spread lotion might.

But on a windy beach day, these canned sprays can really be tricky to apply. For $8 I would probably rather coat myself in Coppertone’s Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50. But that’s just my preference.

And preference does take priority in sun protection these days. Fashionable sun wear seems to be everywhere today, with many accessories being produced by designer labels, not just sport shops.

Take, for example, sunglasses. Some people will pay ridiculous amounts of money for sunglasses that promise total UVA/UVB solar shielding. A pair of Mykita’s Shield Aviator Glasses will cost you $525 from a high-end department store like Neiman Marcus, and they promise 100 percent UV protection.

But some people go to even greater lengths to find eyewear suitable for summer’s sun exposure. Sport sunglasses from Oakley boast polarized lenses, which help to reduce glare from water while surfing, swimming or boating.

A pair of these men’s sunglasses ranges in price from $160 to $260. But if you are an advocate of extreme eye protection, the price might be worth it.

On the more affordable end of the spectrum, there are clothing options that suit the purpose of being sun barriers, too.

Sun hats can be a great, fashionable alternative to smearing your nose with zinc oxide at the beach. Most sun hats have a brim of 4 inches or more and provide shade not only for your face and eyes, but also for your neck and shoulders.

Some sun hats even provide UV and SPF defense, like the products from Coolibar.
The company’s Wide Brim Derby Sun Hat costs $44 but provides SPF 50+ to guard the sun’s rays. And with a 5-inch brim, you’ll be shaded from scalp to shoulders.
If you’re not satisfied with a smaller brim, you can always choose to purchase something that will give more than head-to-shoulder shade.

The Merona Large Straw Floppy Hat from Target sells for $12.99 but does not promise any UV defense or SPF power. However, the large brim of the hat will bring optimum neck and chest shade to an otherwise full-sun atmosphere like the pool or beach.

Or for about three times the price of the Merona sun hat, you can purchase the Goldie Straw Floppy Hat from the Free People Boutique online. Made of the same material with a 4-inch brim, this sun hat offers more style than functionality. At $58 with no built-in UV protection, it might not be worth the shade it provides.

So, when shopping for sun screening accessories, we should all be aware of the products that are functional as well as fashionable. There are many summer shading options that feature UV protection — and you don’t always need to spend $500 to get them.