Monday, Sept. 30

Local businesses struggle in summer months

Kirkwood Avenue has had its fair share of fleeting businesses.

With a high unemployment rate, it has become increasingly difficult to get approval for a loan and to succeed in the local business industry.

According to the Indiana Department of Workforce Development, the number of unemployed citizens in Bloomington has increased by 26 percent since May 2010 and by 22.8 percent since June 2009.

“I’ve lived in Bloomington since I was a kid, and I’ve seen a lot of nice local joints take a hit due to the economy,” said Joana Keys, a 34-year-old Bloomington resident. “It doesn’t help that a lot of the income stores receive comes from students, because the smaller shops get the short end of the straw when the kids leave to go home.”

Though the numbers become sparse in the summer, there might be an upside to the students migrating home. With fewer students around, spaces open up for summer employment positions.

According to a report from the Kelley School of Business, though unemployment is still an issue, Indiana employment should be looking up by the end of 2010 — adding an estimated 50,000 jobs.

Despite tight budgets, not everyone is sweating under the pressure of bad summer business. Some owners think the warmer months present new opportunities.

“Summertime is an interesting time because at least half of the campus is gone — the whole dynamic of the town completely changes,” said Jerremy Deckard, manager of Campus Candy. “But then again, you have the summer camps and the orientation groups, so summer time doesn’t automatically mean bad for business.”

Deckard said he believes a lot factors into small business success in Bloomington, including proximity to campus, a company’s offerings, advertising pitch, competition and the overall convenience of the business.

“When it comes to a business experiencing success, it all has to do with a solid idea,” Deckard said. “Especially with a new business, the idea will either sink or swim. With our store, it was a brand new idea, a brand new concept for Bloomington, so we knew in order to get the word out and experience success, we needed to pick a prime location near campus.”

Some businesses in Bloomington, such as the restaurant Malibu Grill, have actually begun to buy food products locally to promote better sales for the small companies in the area.

“As things become more available within the county, we are all for supporting local businesses and buying from them,” said John Bailey, managing partner of Malibu Grill. “But before we can commit to any company, we have to make sure the product can match up to our standards. We judge our products by three important factors: quality, selection and value.”

Malibu Grill has been on the square for 15 years and has seen its fair share of businesses come and go. Bailey said success all has to do with the business’s reputation.

“If you want your company to be successful, you can’t waste time worrying about the competition and bad business,” Bailey said. “I think Malibu Grill stands out from the crowd because we’re really focused on what we’re here to do — and that is provide great service to the customers.

If you focus on pleasing the clientele, the business should run smoothly and take care of itself.”