Sunday, Sept. 29

Fashion column: lose the high school letter jackets

I realized today that if I had this column in high school, I would have been fired shortly after I gave everyone the thumbs up to wear screen tees from Hot Topic.

I have plenty of Fall Out Boy T-shirts, but as much as I hate sounding like my mom, it’s time to grow up.

As college students, we’re just learning how to be independent and deciding how to handle our lives. The perfect example is turning 21.

We have the freedom to choose to go for a social drink rather than having to hold on to the bathroom floor.

Even if you don’t have plans to wear a shot glass holster to Kilroy’s, you can at least come to karaoke night with me... Please?

Most of us would be turned away at the door if we showed up wearing that Panthers hoodie from high school.

For incoming freshmen, a good rule of thumb — if it was really cool in high school, don’t wear it now. 

Yes, it’s awesome that you lettered in marching band and you had a sick French Horn solo senior year, but what does that say about what you’re trying to accomplish in college?

I bet your after-prom event had the coolest theme of 2010, but I don’t need to see the
souvenir T-shirt.

Instead of letter jackets, invest in a bomber jacket. It’s always a staple of fall fashion, and it keeps you just as warm as you walk to the music school for your recital, French Horn kid.

There are all-ages dance parties on campus that give you the chance to experiment with dress fabrics other than taffeta.

But the finger of blame is also pointed at seniors who are quickly approaching the
real world.

I am sure your IU gear and sweatpants have served you well over the years, but if you haven’t by now, invest in at least two professional looks. That way, if you are called in for a second interview, you have options.

Since I am not a fan of the business-professional look, it’s important to choose pieces that highlight your personality. Wear your favorite color or accessory. Wear clothes and shoes that accentuate your form and give you comfort.

Growing up does not mean you have to lose yourself; it just means you need to wear
better clothes.