Sunday, Sept. 29

Speed matching partners IU programs, nonprofits

A circle of tables filled a room at the DeVault Alumni Center on Thursday for a “speed matching” event, organized to connect IU offices with Bloomington nonprofit agencies for potential partnerships.

This second annual event was created by the IU Civic Engagement Campus and Community Stakeholders Collaborative, which is made up of IU staff members, community representatives and students from a variety of programs who facilitate curricular services.

During the matching, IU office members sat on one side of the table and rotated every five minutes to speak with another nonprofit organization representative. Each side was given 90 seconds to share its group’s mission and spent the remaining two minutes discussing common ground.

The idea came from a brainstorming session of the collaborative, said Colleen Rose, assistant director for Student Organizations and Civic Engagement.

Last year, the speed matching event resulted in a partnership
between the Kelley Civic Leadership Development and Global Gifts, a fair trade shop, to create a case competition for Kelley business students.

Civic engagement is important for students to utilize what they are learning in real world settings, said Molly Barwick, director of Civic Leadership Development at the Kelley School of Business.

“Through the experience, students are aware of the needs within the Bloomington community and are being educated about issues such as homelessness and hunger,” she said.

Through the partnership, five teams of students were to come up with ideas to increase sales and boost marketing for Global Gifts.

As the case competition was carried out successfully, Civic Leadership Development has decided to organize a similar event this year.

“This fall, a director is elected on board for the case competition,” Barwick said. “However, the CLD has not confirmed on the partnering organization yet.”

Barry Lessow, executive director for the United Way of Monroe County, said speed matching is an effective way to connect the IU offices and Bloomington agencies.

“It feels good seeing people who want to make the community better anxious to come here to make those connections,” he said.

Many nonprofit organizations rely on having dedicated and effective volunteers, Lessow said, and IU students have proved themselves helpful to these agencies.

“In exchange for the volunteer works, students have the opportunity to understand how the community agencies work and explain the work skills to potential employers,” he said.

Steve Veldkamp, assistant dean of students and director of Student Activities, said the speed matching event unlocked the learning potentials of IU students.

“Students that engage in community services are generally better in the classroom and more (culturally competent),” said Veldkamp.

Rose also believed the matching event offered benefits for students.

“Students will have more opportunities to be more aware of the Bloomington community and find places for volunteering, internships and experience beyond what the campus has to offer,” she said.