Sunday, Sept. 29

4th Street Festival attracts artists from across nation

4th Street Festival

As a woman walked by Nancy Clark’s booth at the 4th Street Festival, she could not resist commenting on how much she loved the technique used to make the woman’s black knit sweater.

At the 4th Street Festival, the interaction between the attendees and the artists was proof of the community’s support of this year’s event.

“Look at these crowds,” Clark said. “You don’t see this typically. With all the enthusiasm and happiness, it’s great to talk to everyone here.”

This weekend, 121 artists brought their work to Bloomington. Artists from every part of the country — from as far as Kissimmee, Fla., and Paso Robles, Calif., — traveled to Fourth Street to display their photography, jewelry and large mosaic farm animals, to name a few.

Clark, a weaver from Kansas City, Mo., entered the festival upon a friend’s suggestion.
Wearing a purple tie-dye dress, rainbow speckled glasses and a multicolor threaded necklace, Clark showed off her artistic expression.

Clark, who started weaving in 1971, was forced to make a sudden career shift nine years later when her husband died at age 37. As a single parent, she said her lifestyle
dramatically changed.

Securing an administrative position at a law firm, she was able to provide a steady income to support herself and her daughter. But when her daughter graduated from high school, the opportunity for another change became apparent, and she decided to quit her job.

“I got out of the corporate world and put myself on the street,” she said.

While her family was appalled by her choice, she said returning to artistry was what she needed to do with her life.

“We don’t know what will happen next,” Clark said. “I’m going to do what I love now and make it work for me.”

Further down Fourth Street was 7-year-old Aaron Shafer, who displayed his artwork on an overturned cooler next to his parents’ booth.

The youngest of four children, Aaron traveled from Chicago with his parents, who decided to make their first appearance at the festival this year.

Aaron said his favorite way to express himself is through “crazy art,” which he explained means doing whatever he wants.

Not only did Aaron manage to sell his own artwork at the festival, but he also brought his violin and was offered the chance to perform at Anatolia’s Turkish Restaurant and Kebab House in exchange for a free meal.

At the festival’s main intersection on Fourth and Grant streets, Juliet Roberts, whose name tag read “Queen of the Volunteers,” answered questions at the information booth.

Roberts has volunteered at the festival for four years and said 40 percent of the artists were newcomers this year.

“We like to mix it up and keep things fresh,” she said.

Roberts said the festival’s tremendous community support and enthusiasm is a great way to introduce new artists to Bloomington.

IU Alumna Terry Taylor-Norbu, who makes vividly colored fused glass jewelry, served as secretary on the festival’s board and had a booth as well. A Bloomington native, Taylor-Norbu is the assistant to the Dean at the School of Informatics and Computing.

She said art is an outlet to fulfill her need for self expression.

About 16 years ago, she took two six-week jewelry making classes at the John Waldron Arts Center and has been perfecting the craft ever since. While she has a desire to create, she said what is fun about being an artist is inspiring others.

“Everyone is an artist,” Taylor-Norbu said. “Whether it’s painting, cooking or mowing the lawn, everyone needs to find what that is for them.”

Shafer captured the spirit of this 37th annual festival as he smiled and said, “Art makes me happy.”