Sunday, Sept. 29

Band gains local recognition, praise

A local rock group known as The Pharos has just started its journey to become a well-known band in Bloomington.

The band consists of juniors James Reed, Nick Huster and Adam Littman, as well as seniors William Huster and Tom Weikert.

The band’s name was inspired by the Pharos Lighthouse in Alexandria, Egypt, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World, manager Nick Huster said.

Originally known as HD-1, The Pharos began playing at house parties around Bloomington in October 2009. Since then, they have captured the interests of students.

“I love that they combine so many instruments, which complements their music,” junior Rosie Creamers said. “They have such good energy.”

Last summer was an exciting time for the band. They officially changed their name and began work on the album “Missing Person,” which was released this month.

The album features all five current members of the band, as well as former keyboardist Adam Brown. Brown left the group to pursue a music degree at the Berklee College of Music in Boston, according to the band’s website, reverbnation.com.

Though the band is not yet signed by any major record labels, many students have given the album good reviews.

“Their music just makes me feel good. I can listen to that CD without skipping a track,” sophomore Aysia Matz said.

Since the release of the album, the band has been busy promoting it in various ways. They had a debut gig for their album in Dunn Meadow on Sept. 10. They were also out chalking and hanging fliers Sunday, offering free albums to anyone willing to help.

The Pharos have set their future goals high. Each day, they become more focused on getting their music into the public ear.

“A big goal of ours is to play the Bluebird,” vocalist William Huster said. “We’d also love to record a concept album.”

In their quest, The Pharos have found that Bloomington supports its local artists in more ways than one. Bands around town were always willing to help them with equipment, finding gigs and reaching fans, Weikert, the band’s guitarist, said.

The band will play its first bar performance at 11:15 p.m. Sept. 29 at 902’s. They anticipate a decent crowd for an event that they said should open many doors for them.

“We really want to thank all the fans for giving us a chance,” Reed said.