Sunday, Sept. 29

Club swings its way into fall semester

The IU Swing Dance Club is in full swing this semester, with more than 40 dancers rocking to the beat on Monday nights.

Caitlin Baird, a graduate student studying public affairs, gave instructions to the beginning students during their lesson at the Indiana Memorial Union.

“We’ve got some great dancers and a great group of new dancers that are really enthusiastic about it,” Baird said.

Baird has been swing dancing for the past six years. She got started at the Purdue Night Train Swing Dance Club and hasn’t stopped since.

When Baird discovered Naptown Stomp, a swing dance club in Indianapolis, she said she really got hooked.  

Baird was president of Naptown Stomp for two years, where she said she also taught lessons.

She has also taught swing dancing at Carmel High School and regional universities.
In addition to teaching her first year with the IU Swing Dance Club, Baird is participating in swing dance competitions with her team, the Hoosier Hot Shots.

Baird said she thinks there are many benefits to swing dancing, including exercise and new friends.

She said she especially loves the upbeat jazz music and the smiles that go along with it.

“I always walk away happier than when I came in. People get excited when they dance, and it’s hard not to get caught up in that excitement,” Baird said.

Jennifer Trueblood, a graduate student studying cognitive science, is starting her second year as the club’s president.

Her duties include finding instructors, finding space to practice, overseeing activities and organizing workshops.

Trueblood has been a member of the club for the past 4 1/2 years. She said she believes the social aspect of dancing is one of its greatest benefits.

“It’s a great way to meet a lot of people and be active. Dancing is something you can do for the rest of your life,” Trueblood said.

Kristina Downs, a graduate student studying folklore, has been a member of the club since last semester. She said dancing is fun, upbeat and a good stress
reliever.

“It gives me an opportunity to turn my brain off. I think we could all use that around here,” Downs said.

The IU Swing Dance Club has beginning and intermediate lessons every Monday in the IMU. The instructors generally focus on East Coast Swing and Savoy-style Lindy Hop, but they sometimes offer other styles.

The club also hosts social dancing and other events. Membership is open to all students and members of the community.