Sunday, Sept. 29

Comedian Rob Riggle returns to Bloomington

Over the years, Union Board has built a partnership with the IU Auditorium largely based on the success of the concerts they sponsor.

Each year, the Union Board brings in a number of well-known artists through the auditorium, but the group rarely brings in comedians, leaving stand-up comedy to local venues.

Rob Riggle will be breaking that streak. Riggle will perform at 8 p.m. Friday at the auditorium. The performance will be  presented by the Union Board.

Tickets are still available at the box office and auditorium website. They are $15 for students and $27.50 for the general public.

“It’s been a while since Union Board brought in a big stand up show, and I feel that Rob Riggle is one of the best comedians to bring in,” said Dan Haddad, Union Board comedy director. “He’s really relevant right now.”

Riggle joins Robin Williams, Bill Cosby and duo Flight of the Conchords as recent comedians to come to the auditorium stage.

Maria Talbert, events coordinator for the auditorium, said Riggle’s performance — and subsequent membership in the group of recent auditorium comedy performances — is only fitting given his recent appearances in many successful comedies.

“He’s hilarious,” she said. “A staff member today said she’s watched four movies this weekend, and he’s been in all of them.”

Indeed, seek out any recent comedy box office success, and Riggle is probably involved.

A former correspondent on “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” Riggle broke out into mainstream Hollywood with small — but incredibly memorable — scenes in movies like “The Hangover” and “Step Brothers.”

He recently co-starred in the Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg police comedy “The Other Guys.”

This is not Riggle’s first appearance in Bloomington. Talbert said during President Barack Obama’s campaign stop in 2008, Riggle faked a heart attack as part of a “Daily Show” bit.

Opening for Riggle is Rory Albanese, executive producer and writer for “The Daily Show” and frequent collaborator with Riggle. Albanese’s comedy special debuted on Comedy Central in April.

Haddad said in each performance, on stage or on film, Riggle delivers with an intensity other actors are hard pressed to match.

“Expect a high-energy performance, something really funny,” he said. “Obviously the goal for a stand-up show is to get students to laugh, and there’s no problem relating to Rob Riggle.”

Haddad said Riggle has been on the comedy circuit for a long time and has no problem relating his material to college students.

“He takes the intensity that he shows in ‘Step Brothers’ and ‘The Hangover’ and brings it to the stage,” Haddad said.