Sunday, Sept. 29

Hello my name is...

Around my neck lays a simple gold chain and three somewhat tarnished charms.
Admittedly, it’s nothing to gawk at or possibly save the world from doom if replaced in an old Mayan tomb, but it has sentiment. It’s my “Carrie” necklace.

If you’re not familiar with the series “Sex and the City,” first I would say you need to clean up after living under a rock for so long. Then I would explain to you that the “Carrie” necklace was a small trinket belonging to the main character, Carrie Bradshaw.

During her sporadic move to Paris with her Russian lover, Carrie loses her necklace and in a sense, herself.

Carrie’s Russian heart throb tries to make amends by giving her a diamond necklace as a replacement. However, it’s not the same until she finds her “Carrie” necklace and realizes Paris is not for her.

That is exactly how I feel about my necklace. It represents me and what is important to me. It is the one accessory that defies all fashion protocol, no matter what I wear.
And if I’m not wearing my necklace, then the look, not to mention myself, is incomplete.

Clothes and accessories should be more than just layers we wear to avoid those pesky public indecency violations. What you wear should be like a “Hello, my name is...” name tag that represents who you choose to be.

My advice is for you to go to your closet, your jewelry box, or if you’re like me, that pile on the corner of your dresser and sort through the “that’s cute with that one shirt” from “I remember wearing this when ...” and let that piece of you get some fresh air and tell a story.

Let it be your name tag,

except without that creepy feeling that the guy is looking for a little bit more than just the phonetic pronunciation on your shirt.

Unless that guy is Russian and wants to take you to Paris, I hear there is a diamond necklace included in that package.