Wednesday, Oct. 9

sports volleyball

IU home to Adidas Classic this weekend

Volleyball

After a successful tournament in Georgia, IU volleyball returns to University Gym for its home opener in the IU Adidas Classic.

The weekend event in Bloomington will feature IU, Illinois State, North Carolina State and Arkansas State. The teams will play games against each of
the participants.

The Hoosiers want to continue its momentum from its home-opening weekend. Last weekend the Hoosiers went 3-0 in a similar event in Georgia, including a victory against then No. 43 Georgia Tech in a five-set match.

“When we have really good communication, then we are unstoppable,” sophomore outside hitter Lindsay Enterline said.

This weekend, the volleyball team is preparing for better competition.

“The teams are much more balanced this weekend,” IU coach Sherry Dunbar said. “The teams will come in here pretty hungry.”

IU opens up with Arkansas State, who started off the season 2-1. The Red Wolves are a young team with no seniors on the roster.

Dunbar said going back to the fundamentals will be key in this weekend’s matchups.

“It goes back to the old school serving and passing. We got to serve aggressive and really take care of the first ball contact,” Dunbar said. “We have to generate energy from our defense.”

On Saturday, the Hoosiers face Illinois State at noon and North Carolina State at 7:30 p.m.

Illinois State is 4-0 on the season. ISU’s two top players are senior outside hitter Mallory Leggett and freshman outside hitter Shannon McGlaughlin. Leggett has 62 kills and McGlaughlin has 53 kills through four games.

Enterline is ready for the high volume crowd in the University Gym.

For the first time in Dunbar’s IU coaching career, the program has sold out its red zone seats that go to season ticket holders.

The Hoosiers end the weekend against North Carolina State. The Wolfpack (3-0) has won all three of their matches and has not let an opponent win a set this season.

Senior setter Alex Smith recorded 30 kills and has a .473 scoring percentage during the first three matches.

The Hoosiers expect tough competition from all three opponents.

“There will be high intensity and high consistency between all three teams,” Enterline said. “These games will be a really good test for us this weekend.”