Wednesday, Oct. 9

IU sports quick hits

IU ANNOUNCES 2010 HALL OF FAME CLASS
The IU Athletics Department announced its 2010 Hall of Fame class, highlighted by former IU football coach Lee Corso, on Monday.

Corso, who coached the team from 1973-1982, was 41-68-2 in his tenure at IU. He currently works as an analyst for ESPN’s College GameDay program.

Other inductees include Chuck Bennett (football, 1926-1928), Steve Green (men’s basketball, 1973-1975), Denise (Jackson) Salters (women’s basketball, 1981-1984), Wayne McDonald (men’s golf, 1968-1970) and Van Waiters (football, 1983, 1985-1987).

The six-member class will be inducted at the annual Hall of Fame dinner on Oct. 29 and will be recognized the following day at halftime during the IU football contest against Northwestern.

“The strength of this class underscores the rich tradition of student athletes at Indiana University,” Athletics Director Fred Glass said in a statement. “In addition, Lee Corso’s induction as a great IU football coach is particularly exciting for me, given he led the Hoosiers during my time as a student.”

BENSON EARNS BIG TEN HONOR
Volleyball senior middle blocker and 2009 Third Team All-American Ashley Benson earned her third career Big Ten Player of the Week Award on Monday. She was named co-winner along with Minnesota outside hitter Ashley Wittman.

Benson paced the Hoosiers to four weekend wins in New York as the team improved to 10-0 on the season. She posted a .629 hitting percentage and averaged 4.5 kills, 1.6 kills and 1.0 blocks.

IU won matches against Robert Morris, Colgate, Niagara and Bucknell for its best start to a season since 1999.

ERIC GORDON EARNS GOLD WITH TEAM USA
Former IU guard Eric Gordon won a gold medal this weekend as a member of Team USA’s world champion basketball team.

Team USA defeated Turkey 81-64 in the FIBA World Championship final to earn its first non-Olympic world title since 1994.

Gordon averaged 8.6 points and 0.9 steals in the team’s nine games.