Sunday, Sept. 29

Jazz professor to perform at Bear’s

As the brain child of local jazz trumpeter David Miller, Jazz Fables Concerts happen every Thursday night.

This week, world-famous musician and IU jazz guitar teacher Corey Christiansen and his quintet will perform at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at Bear’s Place. Attendants must be 21 and older, and tickets are $7 at the door.

The show is for the release party for Christiansen’s new CD “Outlaw Tractor.” Christiansen and his quintet will play compositions from his old material and his new CD.

“I’m already heading out into new waters with what I’ve been writing and playing, and that should be documented on the next recording,” Christiansen said. “As a jazz musician, I’m always trying to evolve so it’s important for me to continue to document my progress and changes.”

His quintet consists of IU Jazz Studies saxophonist Dustin Laurenzi, IU professor of jazz bass Jeremy Allen and visiting percussion instructors Jason Tiemann and Michael Spiro.

“This is the first time this particular aggregation has played together,” Spiro said. “I always enjoy playing with Christiansen though because he is a brilliant musician.”  

For the past twenty years Jacob’s School of Music professors, students and jazz
musicians from all over the world have left no shortage of jazz musicians to play each week. 

The series also owes much of its success to its proximity to the Jacob’s school.
Christiansen is a visiting professor at IU.

He coaches composition groups and gives practical guitar lessons to undergraduate and graduate jazz guitar students. When not involved with music education, Christiansen tours internationally.

He has played with many noted musicians, such as John Pisano,  Vic Juris and Dr. Lonnie Smith.

“As a guitarist he’s phenomenal,” jazz guitar student Tom Ladendorf said. “Also as a teacher he’s very versatile and good at communicating ideas.”