Sunday, Sept. 29

OutKast’s Big Boi to play at Fall Fest

Big Boi

The Phi Kappa Sigma fraternity, known as Skulls on campus, has teamed up with JS Marketing to bring OutKast’s Big Boi to perform live at IU for Fall Fest.

The show will began at 6 p.m. with doors opening at 5 p.m. Oct. 1 at 1200 N. Jordan Ave., the same lot at 17th Street and Jordan Avenue near the Bell Tower Field where GLOWfest took place last year.

“He dropped a new album and it’s getting good reviews,” said alumnus Chris Cannon, IU Skulls Housing Corporation president who booked the rapper. “Everyone knows OutKast, so to bring someone of his stature just shows it’s going to be an amazing show.”

Cannon said Big Boi plans to take the stage between 8 and 8:30 p.m.

Opening performers include David Costa, Riddles, Brittany Street, Them Dudes, G Fresh, Nappyville and DJ Topspeed. Cannon said he is still trying to book Chicago rapper Twista to perform, and although it’s “definitely in the works,” it has not been confirmed.

Ticket prices are $25 presale, $40 VIP and $30 the day of the show. Tickets can be purchased online at iuoutkast.eventbrite.com and at Dope Couture at 224 N.
College Ave. Big Boi is also scheduled to make an appearance at an after-party at Jake’s Nightclub.

Cannon said he and his fraternity hope to make “Fall Fest” an annual event.

“Union Board brings in a lot of acts and outside of them are the bars, but if you aren’t 21 you can’t go, so we want to bring something everyone can enjoy,” Cannon said.

Cannon said hip-hop acts want to hit college campuses because of their energy and more intimate settings where people can get closer to the stage.

Big Boi surprised New York University students Sept. 8 at their annual back-to-school concert and will stop at several other universities on his fall tour to promote the July release of his solo debut album “Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty.”

“I think Big Boi and company wanted to give back to students who are spending money out of what little they have and who might not be able to afford tickets at a big stadium,” Cannon said.