Sunday, Sept. 29

Sacrificing comfort for style

As a girl who has walked home barefoot on many occasions, I know first hand how much you learn when you walk in someone else’s shoes.

But when your friend is only a half size smaller, you begin to consider if you really need all 10 toes.

If you ever had to wait for someone to dissect themselves from a full-length mirror, then you have witnessed the inner war a person goes through between style and comfort.

Women are notorious for debating whether they need full lung capacity for a tightly
fitted dress.

I also know men who are willing to put on a pair of shoes that have the support of a plank of wood just for a night out. 

I guess we can be comfortable when we’re dead, or at least in a rest home in Boca Raton, Fla.

But before the highlight of my day becomes my daily prescription trip to the pharmacy, I think we should finally find a balance between looking good and feeling even better with our outfit choices.

There are times when you don’t need to look like you were mummified into a dress for the night; an empire waist dress is an easy alternative.

Whether the style is more baby doll or Grecian, the higher waist gives you room while also giving you shape. 

If you have noticed that more fitted dresses create problem areas around your lower waist and hips, then choose something where the fabric hangs loose, giving your body a smoother silhouette.

For the gentleman who is tired of blazers and dinner jackets weighing him down, opt for lighter outerwear and invest in a quality cardigan.

It may initially bring visions of a Mr. Rogers and Bill Cosby collaboration gone horribly wrong; however, a sharp navy or black cardigan with a complementing tie is still in the business casual family with a hint of the easy-going. 

There will always be those moments when we find ourselves counting down until we can get home to unlatch and deflate while we force a smile because well, that Facebook default picture won’t take itself.

Every now and then though, give your inner organs a break and get comfy.