Sunday, Sept. 29

Vampire Weekend kicks off auditorium season

Moving away from the recent trend of hip-hop groups performing for Union Board’s annual Welcome Week show, the IU Auditorium will treat students to one of indie rock’s most critically­­­ acclaimed bands when Vampire Weekend performs today.

Presented by Union Board and Spirit of ‘68 Promotions, Vampire Weekend will perform with openers Beach House and Dum Dum Girls beginning at 7 p.m. today.

Tickets are still available at the IU Auditorium box office and at www.iuauditorium.com.

“We’ve had really positive response for Vampire Weekend this year,” Maria Talbert, events coordinator for the auditorium said. “Not just from students, but from the whole community.”

Formed in 2006 at Columbia University, Vampire Weekend gained traction on the indie music scene thanks to a largely-positive presence on music blogs. The band’s self-titled debut album was released in 2008. It earned the band a gold record certification in the U.S. and went platinum in the United Kingdom. The band, helmed by front man Ezra Koenig, released its sophomore album, Contra, in January to
positive responses.

Union Board Concerts Director James Still said while the show is not the board’s official Welcome Week show — a series of planned events fell through — students should expect a great show.

“Vampire Weekend is a band stepping into the prime of their career that is sure to get the crowd on their feet,” he said.

Blending African pop with indie rock and ironic lyrics about trendy topics, the band often refers to its genre of music as “Upper West Side Soweto.” Vampire Weekend was declared “This Year’s Best New Band” in 2008 by Spin Magazine and its song

“Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa” earned the 67th spot on Rolling Stone’s “100 Best Songs of the Year” list for 2007.

“As a board we are always interested in bringing the top musical artists of the day no matter what genre,” Still said. “My top goal is to bring the artists to campus that students are interested in seeing.”