Wednesday, Oct. 9

sports volleyball

Volleyball team 12-0 heading into Big Ten play

The IU volleyball team won its last two nonconference matches with ease Saturday, defeating DePaul and host Miami of Ohio to claim the Miami Best Western Invitational championship.

The Hoosiers (12-0) opened play by beating DePaul, 25-22, 25-15, 25-21 and 25-20 for their first four-set victory of the season.

Sophomore right-side hitter Kelci Marschall, who was named Tournament MVP, stepped up with 19 kills and three block assists in the match.

Marschall and others agreed the Hoosiers started slow against the Blue Demons.

“We didn’t come out and have a sense of urgency in the first match,” Marschall said.

However, IU had a balance on the setter position as sophomore setter Whitney Granado returned to the court after suffering concussion-like symptoms.

“I thought Whitney got back into running the offense when she played,” IU coach Sherry Dunbar said.

IU improved later that evening.

“After losing the set to DePaul, we regrouped and corrected some of the mistakes we were making,” Marschall said. “Our energy level against Miami was a lot better.”

The Hoosiers beat the RedHawks in straight sets, 25-12, 25-21 and 25-20.

“The first match we were a little sluggish,” Dunbar said. “We were a totally different team tonight.”

Marschall, an Ohio native, felt comfortable playing with family supporting her there.

“I was just a lot more consistent today and limited my errors,” Marchall said. “It feels good to play well back in my home state.”

The win was the ninth straight-set victory in IU’s 12 games.

Senior middle blocker Ashley Benson led the team with 11 kills on the match.

The team opens Big Ten play against in-state rival Purdue (9-2) at 7 p.m. Wednesday at University Gym.

“This positions us, gives us confidence and prepares us mentally for a great showdown against Purdue,” Dunbar said.