Wednesday, Oct. 9

Flag football refs call it as they see it

It’s just before 6 p.m. on a Wednesday.

Intramural flag football teams begin to arrive at the intramural fields behind Memorial Stadium. Some begin practicing while others start strategizing. 

While these teams get ready to start, the officials on the fields finish the games that are ending.

Officials watch as a men’s flag football game begins. They instruct the players to “watch the line” or “scoot back” as pre-warnings that a call might be made if their instructions are not followed.

In addition to the two refs assigned to each game, there are three lead officials who are certified in first aid and CPR on hand, just in case someone gets hurt.

“If we can’t help them, we are here to make sure they get help,” lead official Evan Youngquist said.

With safety and security taken care of, the intramural referees can focus on what they are paid to do — make the calls.

Sophomore Mark Mastrangelo said he enjoys officiating for several reasons. He said one was that officiating is a job, and another was that it pays more than the minimum wage.

“I only work one shift a week. It’s extra spending money,” Mastrangelo said.

Although Mastrangelo said the job pays well, it has some give and take. He said the hardest part is “making it sound official.” 

“When you make a call you have to stick to it. You don’t want them telling you you’re wrong,” Mastrangelo said.

Junior Zach Canada, member of the Mans Couch flag football team, as well as freshman Jared McElroy and sophomore Evan Morgan of the LOL team, all said the referees do a pretty good job officiating.

However, McElroy said he would like to see some changes made to the way the sport
is played.

“Football is a contact sport. Some of the rules are kind of pointless that they have to enforce,” McElroy said. “It kind of takes the whole aspect of football out.”

Despite such perceptions of the rules, Morgan said he respects the referees’ decisions regarding them.

“They are all pretty friendly. I think they know what they are talking about,” Morgan said.

First year official Nick King said it can be difficult when team members mouth off.
“Everyone talks back a little because of competitiveness. The most exciting games are the fraternity games. They know the rules a little better, instead of being so choppy,” he said, adding that “most teams yell at the member to shut up so they don’t get the penalty.”

With plans to officiate next year and to possibly referee basketball intramurals, King said he can honestly say he likes his job.

“I like it. It’s a good job. Goes by fast because you’re always paying attention. You’ve got to pay attention to every play.”