Sunday, Sept. 29

Jacobs celebrates composer’s 75th birthday in concert

Voices rang through Auer Hall like church bells Sunday in celebration of composer Arvo Part’s 75th birthday. From Bloomington to Istanbul, people have been honoring Part and what he represents.

Part’s name may not be as well-known in America as those of Beethoven or Mozart, but in Estonia and much of Europe, he is a powerful icon. His music is sutured to the soundscape of Estonia, Jeffers Engelhardt assistant professor of Music Anthropology at Amherst College said.

Part’s prevalence as a musical icon has only grown in recent decades. The inclusion of his music in Hollywood films and a wide range of modern European media has allowed him to reach much of the world.

“It is incredibly moving to perform but very difficult,” vocalist and doctoral student of choral conducting Benjamin Geier said. “Singing the climatic parts can be overwhelming. You really have to control your emotions so you are not swept away.”

The concert was the culmination of a weekend-long celebration of Part’s life and work. It was a collaborative effort between the Jacobs School of Music and the Department of Central Eurasian Studies.

“His music conveys a moral message that is universal,” Carmen Tellez, music director of the Contemporary Vocal Ensemble, said. “It has inspired others to lift and carry on his moral and spiritual message.”

Part is most famous for his composing technique called tintinnabuli, latin for “bells.” Tintinnabuli involves using a musical algorithm to create a harmonious droning effect, reminiscent of Gregorian chanting. The sound is similar to a bell, Tellez said. The melody rings within the confines of the chord.

It’s more than paint-by-numbers composing. Part breaks his own rules even in his earliest work with tintinnabuli.

“If all this is too intellectual, one can just relax in the warm bath of its sonority,” Engelhardt said. “Just listen to the radiance to understand the song’s power.”