Sunday, Sept. 29

Keller Williams to jam at Bluebird

With a number of high-profile acts, including Umphrey’s McGee, Nappy Roots and Ingrid Michaelson, slated to perform in the upcoming weeks, Bluebird Nightclub will also bring singer-songwriter Keller Williams.

The concert will begin at 9 p.m. Thursday in anticipation of Williams’ new album “Kids,” released later this month.

Tickets are available at the Bluebird  or at www.ticketmaster.com for $18 in advance and $20 at the door.

Bluebird owner Dave Kubiak said Williams draws in crowds with his multitalented performances — not just as a singer-songwriter, but also as a one-man band.

“He’s a solo artist that does multiple instruments simultaneously,” Kubiak said. “He does a lot of looping, where he’ll play a riff on his guitar and record it and play it back, and put a bass line on top of that.”

A longtime member of the jam band Circuit, Williams has earned his reputation both as a solo artist and as a collaborator with other bands.

Collaborating with the String Cheese Incident led to the Keller Williams Incident and yielded the 1999 album “Breathe.” Williams has also performed with the bluegrass group Keller & The Keels, releasing the album “Grass” in 2006 and “Thief” in May of this year.

Williams performed most recently with the Rhythm Devils alongside the Grateful Dead’s Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart.

Junior Tim Gelis said he heard Williams’ work during the summer and was impressed by his musical style. Without knowing Williams performed every instrument by himself, Gelis said, it would be nearly impossible to tell that Williams was alone.

“You would never figure that all that sound comes from one person,” he said. “It’s kind of surprising, but it definitely makes him stand out.”

Kubiak said Williams’ eclectic performance will entertain both audience members familiar with his work and first-time listeners.

“He’s a very, very entertaining person,” Kubiak said. “It’s a very dynamic show, very energetic. It’s hard to believe that one guy can create that much music by himself.”