Sunday, Sept. 29

Organ performers to play spooky music

Students and faculty from the Jacobs School of Music are joining the Halloween spirit as they prepare to play spooky organ music Friday.

The IU-Bloomington chapter of the American Guild of Organists (AGO) will have its annual Pipes Spooktacular event at 7 p.m. in Auer Hall.

“It’s a way for Jacobs and the organ department to reach out to the community,” said Hillary Boerries, former dean of the IUB chapter of AGO. “People consider the organ an instrument for the church, but concerts like this show just how versatile, fun and lighthearted the organ can be.”

The Pipes Spooktacular event is organized by student members of the chapter. The event gives organ students the chance to join their community and garner performance experience.

“Organizing events like this fosters the students’ education and gives them the opportunity to perform,” said Nick Bergin, dean of the IUB chapter of AGO.

Attendees can expect to hear a range of spooky music, including “Toccatta and Fugue in D Minor” by Johann Sebastian Bach, compositions by french organist Leon Boellmann and a variety of orchestral pieces for the organ.

This year is especially significant because it is the first year the event will be in Auer Hall using the new organ. The instrument allowed for closer collaboration between the department and AGO, Boerries said. Organ events can now be on campus instead of only at local churches. This also allows the department to invite international artists to teach and perform, she said.

Performers and attendees will be dressed in costume. Door prizes will be given.

“Most of the attendees are families and children, but students and other community members come too,” said Bernadette Wagner, the sub-dean of the IUB chapter of AGO. “It actually attracts a lot of people.”