Sunday, Sept. 29

‘A Chorus Line’ inspires new generation

Pulitzer Prize winning musical comes to IU Auditorium

A Chorus Line

An education, hard work and determination are usually the ingredients to succeeding at a job.

For a performing artist, blood, sweat and tears are only a small portion of success; the rest is luck, as is taught in the Pulitzer Prize winning musical “A Chorus Line.”

What used to be a contemporary play in the 1970s is now seen as a period piece. The themes of the performance, which opened its back-to-back shows Tuesday, are still alive and relevant today.

With the Broadway revival in 2006, the current tour of “A Chorus Line” is out to inspire a new generation.

“I’ve never seen ‘A Chorus Line,’” sophomore Chloe Williamson said. “I know some of the songs. I’m just really excited to see it.”

The show deals with the backbone of musical theater — the dance ensemble.

Members are not seen as stars in the dance ensemble, yet they have the hardest life.

Going from audition to audition, members of the ensemble perform for the pleasure of their craft. With little pay and often times little appreciation, “A Chorus Line” pays homage to the unknown names in the theater.

The musical is set up as an audition. Actors are in plain leotards with a bare set featuring only mirrors.

The musical has no leading characters because it is an ensemble performance. The costumes are the same design as the original 1970s production.

After a grueling audition, all the actors are asked to say something about themselves. The fictional director explains that it’s “a lot like an interview.” And the musical itself is based on actual interviews conducted by creator Michael Bennett.

“It defines real people who try to get real jobs,” attendee Carolyn McFeely said, “when in reality there are so few jobs.”

The original concept of the show was to gain insight on the performers’ lives. The interviews Bennett conducted are what later became the book of the musical. Seen almost as a documentary, the musical shows the rawness of these stories.

The musical was written in 1974 and deals with issues such as homosexuality, bullying, attempted suicide, stories of childhood abuse, adolescent love and race. The musical was so successful that it earned a Pulitzer Prize for Drama, a Tony Award for Best Musical, a Drama Desk Award and an Olivier Award, among many others.

“It’s one of the classic musical theater shows,” junior Cosmo Clemens said. “It’s exciting to have a show that is so historical come to IU.”