Sunday, Sept. 29

Artists to show their ‘Devotion’ to local artwork

Rock the Runway

FROM IDS REPORTS

Tattoo, video, ceramic and other non-traditional artists will take the stage at the second annual “Devotion” show Friday.

Organized by alumnus Jeremy Sweet, “Devotion” is an art event that features local artists from various medias. The event will be at 7 p.m. at The Lodge.

Sweet organized the event last year during his final year of graduate school. He wanted to showcase local work and start conversations about the art in Bloomington.

“‘Devotion’ represents devotion to a craft,” Sweet said. “There is a good base of artistic talent locally that doesn’t always get acknowledged.”

Upland Brewery is sponsoring the event, and a DJ will be playing music all night.

“I’m trying to highlight more contemporary art and create an atmosphere that’s entertaining,” Sweet said.

Aside from creating a relaxed evening, Sweet said the night is also a great opportunity for artists to network.

“It’s a chance for local people to see my work outside of venues of IU,” ceramic artist Keira Norton said.

The purpose of the night is to have a conversation about arts and to see what other artists are doing.

“It’s a platform for less traditional artists to participate in a gallery setting,” tattoo artist Colin McClain said. “I think the main thing is because of the diversity of the artists, it allows people to be exposed to arts they normally wouldn’t be exposed to.