Sunday, Sept. 29

COLUMN: Being fiscally responsible

It’s always this time of the year that I am reminded of what I am thankful for — family, a roof over my head ... an additional 50 percent discount on clearance items.

Amen.

I’m not going to lie to you, nothing brings a smile to my face more than knowing that I am walking away with a bargain.

Even if that means a little digging or clawing for that bargain, depending on if the chick next to me dives for the same thing. 

Sure, it does seem funny to buy sandals in the middle of November, but I am 95 percent sure there will be another summer season, and you’re already strapped in the shoes you practically stole.

It’s one thing to shop, but it’s a completely different thing to shop wisely.

Shopping out of season is a resourceful option for any fashionista.

It doesn’t make much sense to buy a whole rack full of clothes at full price because then you can’t afford to buy clothes to wear outside of classes, though I’m sure your $90 cardigan was a smash hit in your statistics class.

Now I’m not trying to say that your closet should resemble a bargain bin at the Piggly Wiggly, but you understand the concept of value and what it means to your wallet.

It’s all about the proper value on each garment; a good quality sweater should have a higher value point than just a plain T-shirt.

The best way to make sure money is going into the right items is to pick items that you’re willing to splurge on and other items that you refuse to buy if the price isn’t reasonable.

This way you have a base of quality clothing with lower priced items that you can switch in and out due to seasons or trends.

Remember that you’ll never be upset with a good quality jean that fits your body like a glove, so it’s okay if you have to crack open the piggy bank. Quality denim will be around even when you’re kids go rummaging through your attic for something “vintage.”

Also, we all have to deal with trying to hide the pesky hole that forms on the inside of your thigh due to abrasion.

Believe me, there’s no way to pull off a hole that obscene, unless you’re interested in amateur Tuesdays at your local gentlemen’s club.

For items that are a hot trend this week but will leave you looking like MC Hammer the next, you should never consider full price.

Wait it out — get the well-deserved markdown or let the trend die and see if it’s as hot as you thought it was.

I know it’s tough to shop on a budget, especially when you can make it through the semester without buying your Spanish book, but it’s the fiscally responsible thing to do. 

Be thankful for that.