Sunday, Sept. 29

COLUMN: Coat check please

This weekend I found myself between a bar and a hard place.

My friends and I sat in the car for a good five minutes pondering the age old-question that I’m sure our ancestors had to deal with when the weather dropped below 30 degrees on a Saturday night ... in their mini-skirts. 

What do we do with our coats?

As I watched a lovely layer of arctic frost form on the windshield, we were stuck with two options. We could take our jackets inside and carry them over our arm, but then we would give off the impression that we’re about to leave.

And how am I going to enjoy my Kesha remix with only one hand in the air?

Or we could not use logic and leave our coats in the car. Being the highly educated 20-somethings that we are, it only made sense that this was probably our best idea.

So there we are, severely underdressed for November and overly confident that we were going to make it without hearing that one question that would have sent chills up my spine if the numbness hadn’t kicked in:  

“Aren’t you guys cold?”

No, this is paradise. Do I turn left for Tahiti?

Of course we’re cold, and as I thought about it, a lot of women go through this dilemma each year. Either be responsible for your parka all night or gamble that you’ll get pneumonia before hypothermia.

Granted, we could probably wear more appropriate clothing for the season, but you can’t get low in galoshes. I’ve tried, it’s not a pretty sight, and there is an ungodly amount of squeaking.    

Women still need to feel attractive without the risk of losing a finger from frostbite, and it would seem more convenient if more venues in Bloomington offered coat checks.

It’s a pretty simple set up. Get a few clothing racks, charge guests a small fee, give them a ticket with their coat number on it. Voila, your coat check is served.

That way it is way less stressful for the girl who has to lug around her coat or better yet, her boyfriend, who becomes the human coat rack while her and her friends are compelled to dance to “Bad Romance” for the eighth time that night.

However, until that day comes, here are some tips to brave this weather.

Consider layers your new best friend until at least March, oversized blazers over your dress still gives you a chic look that translates from outside to inside effortlessly. 

Also, don’t be afraid to accessorize your outfit with a beret or chunky knit hat, fingerless leather gloves, or just plain leather gloves in a bold color that can be stored in a relatively small shoulder purse. Plus, you’ll be cute while maintaining an appropriate internal body temperature.

Though I’m still waiting for what I ordered.

Coat check, please.