Sunday, Sept. 29

COLUMN: From Halloween costume to closet

Besides hustling kids out of candy, my favorite part of Halloween is the costumes. However, as I stewed over my bucket of Whoppers and Jujubes, I just couldn’t believe how many costumes will go back to their respected closet, box or random pile on the floor until next year.

Instead of spending lots of dough on costumes that makes almost any vocation “sexy,” it would be more — and I know this a tough Lemonhead to swallow — fiscally responsible to try get as bang for your buck.

One of my favorite looks for Halloween once again was Lady Gaga. Not only because I enjoyed watching a Gaga imposter hold a telephone to her ear the entire night to make sure everyone knew it was a homage to “Telephone,” but because it actually has some great basics that can be reused.

The leotard look, which has been the go-to Gaga classic, is actually still very fitting for the fall. You can wear it with a heavier skirt and tights or a classic pair of blue jeans for a slimming and tailored look to the body. Then you can use the fishnet stockings to edge up any holiday dress this season.

The only hazard about leotards is that it requires a gold medal in Gymnastics and a very strong bladder to survive getting in and out of while using a public bathroom. So be eerie of buildings with far-off facilities and large slushies, and you’ll be fabulous and slightly dehydrated.

One costume that I noticed starting to phase out but still out there is “The Hangover” one-man wolf pack, Alan costume. It is a quite simple set-up: get a random screen tee, obtain a baby carrier and baby (a real one scores you more “legit” points) and grow a beard.

To make it wearable anytime, toss on a hooded sweater or nice leather jacket over the shirt with the Alan sunglasses. Oh, and lose the baby... unless you managed to get a real baby, then you should probably report yourself to the Bloomington Police Department. 

After your court date, it’s a nice set-up for a late fall season. You now have a compelling reason to tell your girlfriend about why you need to keep your shrubbery for no-shave November.

One costume that you can probably keep at the bottom of your closet is the YouTube celebrity, Antoine “Hide yo kids, hide yo wife” Dodson. I do apologize but a black tank top and a red bandana does nothing for a fall trend, and YouTube fame is fleeting.
“Chocolate rain,” anyone?

The point is, if you’re going to spend a healthy dose of your mom’s “grocery” money to look awesome for a couple of days, why not get your money’s worth and find ways to incorporate it into your wardrobe?

It only makes cents.