Wednesday, Oct. 9

Column: Two athletes from same hometown meet at IU

Sophomore men’s tennis player Isade Juneau and sophomore cross-country runner Arianne Raby lived in the same hometown but did not meet until last year.

But this is not a story of two future Division I student-athletes growing up together and continuing their athletic endeavors at the same college.

Instead, it took 925 miles, from Repentigny, Quebec to Bloomington. Ind., to bring together two athletes who have grown up within a stone’s throw of each other.

They didn’t even realize it until IU sports information director Kyle Johnson told them.
“That’s the funny thing because she probably lives three minutes away from my house, and I didn’t know who she was,” Juneau said. “The first person that told me about her was Kyle, and I didn’t believe him at first that somebody else was from Repentigny. We started talking, and we are good friends now.”

Even though Juneau and Raby did not know each other before coming to IU, they both followed similar paths in becoming involved with the Hoosiers athletic program.

“One of my teammates in Quebec talked to me about (2010 NCAA high jump champion) Derek Drouin, and he told me that the coaches were looking for middle distance runners,” Raby said. 

Juneau also became involved with IU via fellow teammate and Canadian Jeremy Langer.

“The first thing that attracted me to IU was talking with Jeremy and coming in on a visit to stay with him,” Juneau said. “I think the tennis program is getting better and better, and I thought I could help it get to the top.”

The men’s tennis program at IU has international flavor on its roster as five of the nine players are from outside the United States.

IU coach Randy Bloemendaal emphasized recruiting from all across the world, and his stops in Canada led to the commitment of Juneau.

“I saw Isade at the Canadian Junior Open in his hometown, and he was playing at a high level,” Bloemendaal said. “I try to go to Canada once a year, and that tournament is a good tournament to go to because the top Canadians are there.”

Whereas Juneau blends in with the other international talent on the roster, Raby is the only one not from the U.S. on the cross-country team.

“We are aware enough of what is going on in Canada, and she had some good times and was a very good student,” IU cross country coach Ron Helmer said. “It’s a club sport in Canada, and they have it at some colleges, but if you find someone that runs good times then they are probably pretty legit.”

Along with being from the same hometown, Juneau and Raby said the transition from Canada to the U.S. took some time before they felt completely comfortable in their new home.

“Last year was pretty hard, and the first few weeks of the semester was kind of a battle because my English wasn’t that good,” Juneau said. “But I think I made a good adjustment second semester, and I think I’m getting better.”

On the court, Bloemendaal has been impressed with the high level of play Juneau has competed at early in his sophomore campaign.

“I think he has transitioned well, and I think he is somebody that has consistently surprised me with what he has been able to do on the court,” Bloemendaal said. “He has had a pretty good start to the season with some ranked wins, and I think he has put himself in contention to be a force in the Big Ten.”

Helmer said one of the main areas he has been impressed with Raby is the maturity the 22-year-old sophomore has shown around her teammates.

“She’s a mature person, and she has very high goals for herself,” Helmer said. “I just like having her around from a coaches standpoint because she is not afraid of the scary challenges.”

Now that the two sophomores have settled into their new home away from home, they know they have the support from friends and family, who are just a 16-hour drive away in Repentigny.

“I think it’s great to have people back home come up to me and ask questions about IU and my experience and have little kids looking up to you,” Juneau said.