Wednesday, Oct. 9

Gaelic hurling club sponsors festival

IU Gaelic Hurling

Pleasant weather, traditional Irish music and the “Fastest Game on Grass.”

Such was the atmosphere Sunday during the fifth IU-conducted Gaelic Hurling Festival at the recreational fields.

Clubs from Purdue and Indianapolis joined the IU Gaelic Hurling Club for a series of matches and skills contests.

IU club President Tim Fick said the event was a great opportunity to introduce the ancient Irish sport to as many people as possible.

“I’ve said if you really want to experience Irish culture, go to a Gaelic hurling match in Ireland,” Fick said. “It’s more than just a sport. It’s such a big part of Irish culture.”

Founded thousands of years ago in Ireland, the sport features two teams of 15 players who advance a small ball, called a sliotar, with wooden clubs called hurleys.

The goal is similar to that of a rugby goal, and players can score either one point by placing the sliotar over the top crossbar or a full goal’s worth of three points with a score underneath the crossbar.

While each of the three participating clubs featured Irish hurlers, Fick said most of IU’s squad was composed of students who had only learned the sport within the last three years.

“It’s something they have to pick up, and it’s not pretty (at first),” Fick said. “There’s so much fundamental skill in hurling.”

Fick said the club has aimed to make the festival a cultural event rather than strictly a competition. He said the event has featured Irish musicians and dancers. This year, a family offered background entertainment with fiddles and guitar.

— Drew Allen