Wednesday, Oct. 9

IU survives Division II Ferris State in overtime with 78-65 win

Men's Basketball v. Ferris State

Welcome to IU basketball, Victor Oladipo.

Despite the Hoosiers trailing most of the game, the freshman guard’s late heroics — a four-point play and a last-second blocked shot — were the difference in IU’s 78-65 overtime win against Ferris State on Monday at Assembly Hall.

“The game is never over until the last buzzer buzzes,” Oladipo said. “I’m doing all in my power to do whatever it takes to help my team win.”

With 10.7 seconds remaining in regulation, Oladipo hit a falling away 3-point basket while being fouled to draw the score to 61-60. He followed by making a free throw to tie the game.

On the next possession for Ferris State, Oladipo came from behind from the left side of the baseline and blocked sophomore guard Kenny Brown’s shot into the stands.

Moments later on the inbounds play, Bulldog forward Jerrell Sanders made a shot, but it was reviewed and disallowed.

With all the momentum on their side, the Hoosiers dominated in overtime.

IU sophomore forward Christian Watford began with a turnaround jumper to put IU up 63-61. On the next

possession, sophomore guard Maurice Creek hit a 3-pointer from the right corner to give his team a 5-point lead.

The Hoosiers cruised the rest of the extra period to take the 13-point win.

Oladipo said “a lot of energy” was the difference in overtime.

“Mo Creek hit a big shot, Christian hit a big shot, Jordan (Hulls) hit a big shot,” Oladipo said. “It just seemed like big shots were coming from everywhere. After that, the intensity just skyrocketed.”

Although IU earned the victory, it did have some misfortune.

Early in the second half, IU junior guard Matt Roth — who missed most of last season with an injury — hit the ground hard. After lying on the hardwood for a few minutes, he was helped up and taken to the locker room.

IU coach Tom Crean said last week he hoped the exhibition opponents provided the challenge his team needed to prepare for the regular season.

He got it on Monday night.

For most of the game, IU appeared outplayed. Ferris State controlled the interior in the first half, outrebounding IU 18-16. Bulldog center Justin Keenan, had his way down low.

Poor shooting early on by IU – 35.7 percent in the first half — and hot shooting by Ferris State (59.1 percent) put the Hoosiers down 35-32 at halftime.

IU also struggled against Ferris State’s tough zone defense.

“We figured they were going to do some zone, but not as much,” Watford said. “We just had a hard time executing. But we’ll get through it.”

Much of the second half was the same. Poor shot selection and casual passes led to fast break points by FSU. With 7:30 remaining in the game, the Hoosiers faced their biggest deficit, 13 points.

But the resiliency in IU didn’t allow the deficit to grow.

IU senior guard Jeremiah Rivers’ layup with 2:45 remaining cut FSU’s lead to eight. Creek hit a 3-pointer moments later that pushed FSU’s’ lead to 59-53.

Creek missed a 3-pointer with one minute remaining, but Oladipo got the offensive rebound and was fouled. He calmly hit two free throws to put the Hoosiers within four points. His clutch plays down the stretch eventually sent the game to overtime.
Crean said while it wasn’t his team’s best effort, the comeback said a lot about his squad’s heart.

“The bottom line for those guys tonight is they kept going,” Crean said. “I love the fact that a young team — young in the fact that they haven’t won — there was no panic over there. I loved it. That’s something that we got to build on.”