Sunday, Sept. 29

Kweller returns to Buskirk

Ben Kweller

Singer-songwriter Ben Kweller last performed in Bloomington in February 2009. His last performance was also at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, a venue Kweller said he loved.

“The biggest thing is playing a cool room with a bunch of fans just enjoying the environment,” he said. “Things like that really stick in your mind and make you want to come back.”

The singer-songwriter will perform at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Burkirk-Chumley Theater as part of his fall tour.

Julia Nunes, who was introduced to Kweller through Twitter, is the night’s opening performer. 

Nunes gained notoriety as a YouTube acoustic musician who covers pop songs using
instruments such as the piano, acoustic guitar and ukulele.

“People are always excited and impressed with Julia’s talent as a musician as well as her charismatic personality,” Neeley Polka of Julia Nunes’ Management Team said. “I think she’s inspired a lot of people to take up the uke, actually.”

Marketing Director for the  Buskirk-Chumley Maarten Bout said he’s noticed musicians, like Kweller, return to Bloomington more and more.

“If an artist requests to come back, then they must really like the city,” Bout said. “I’m excited Kweller chose the Buskirk as a venue to come back to.”

Bout suggested the public buy tickets in advance rather than at the door.

“It’s going to be a very intimate experience,” he said.

“Given the size of our space, people often say they feel so close to the musician that they feel the musician is only playing for them.”

Kweller said his tour is going well so far and that he is excited for Saturday’s
performance.

“Getting up there, making sure my sound is right before the show and then having a great time with everyone is all I could hope for,” Kweller said. “That is what I would like to see on the rest of the tour too, just make sure that every night I get up there and have a good time.”