Saturday, Sept. 14

Lynch expects Chappell to be available Saturday

When IU quarterback Ben Chappell left Saturday’s game at Wisconsin, the rest of the team went down with him.

After the senior signal-caller suffered a hip injury in the second quarter, the Badgers went on a 66-10 run. IU coach Bill Lynch noticed the change in demeanor in his team from that moment on.

“I’ve never seen a game change like that with a guy getting hurt,” Lynch said. “You kind of felt it on the sideline. It was like the wind was just let out of our sail when Ben went out. That’s not an excuse, and that should not happen.”

The hip injury that Chappell sustained is improving, Lynch said. He said he thinks Chappell will be able to play on Saturday against Penn State.

Even though Chappell has been banged up throughout the year, last week was the first time he left the game because of an injury. But Lynch said he is optimistic about Chappell’s return.

“I really think he’ll be able to play,” Lynch said. “He’s been beat up a lot this year now, and he keeps bouncing back. His attitude yesterday when I saw him in the training room was ‘I’ll be ready.’”

If Chappell doesn’t play…

Saturday was not the best day for the health of IU quarterbacks.

Redshirt freshman quarterback Dusty Kiel suffered a right thumb injury while replacing Chappell. The injury happened on a follow-through when Kiel’s thumb hit the helmet of a Wisconsin defender. Unlike with Chappell, Lynch was not optimistic about Kiel’s status.

“It’s one of those injuries where if he was another position he’d probably play, but in terms of playing quarterback and gripping the ball, I think that would be very, very difficult,” Lynch said. “I really don’t expect Dusty to be able to play this week.”

If Chappell and Kiel are unavailable Saturday, Lynch said redshirt freshman Edward Wright-Baker would be the starting quarterback. With Chappell likely to be limited in practice, Lynch said Wright-Baker would be getting the majority of the snaps this week.

If Wright-Baker were to go down, sophomore quarterback Adam Follett would step in.

The hangover

How does a team get past a 63-point loss?

How does a team get past allowing the most points in school history?

How does a team get past an 0-6 start in the Big Ten?

“The reality of it is it was a loss,” Lynch said. “Obviously the points jump out at everybody, but we can’t let that affect where we are and what’s ahead of us.”

In truth, both the 18-13 loss against Iowa the week prior and the 63-point loss to Wisconsin are the same in the loss column.

“Whatever the final score was, it’s a loss,” Lynch said. “What’s tougher? Getting beat like that or getting beat on the last second where your Big Ten-leading receiver drops it? It’s a loss.”

Lynch cited conventional theories for responding to a loss.

“You’ve got to bounce back,” Lynch said. “It’s all the cliches, but it really is true. Any time you face adversity, it’s not what happened, it’s what you do about it.”