Sunday, Sept. 29

Music school alumna spreads joy of music

For Jacobs School of Music alumna Melissa Korzec, bringing music into people’s lives is important.

It’s also part of her job.

In October, Korzec was appointed to the position of senior development officer for the Jacobs School. Korzec gained a bachelor’s degree in vocal performance with an outside field in English literature in 2003.

As the senior development officer, Korzec is responsible for cultivating and coordinating the school’s fundraising efforts.   

Korzec’s journey began while she was doing community fundraising and decided she enjoyed the fundraising way of life.

When she learned of the opening position for senior development officer, two friends and colleagues of Melissa encouraged her to apply and write to the Director of Development at the time, Lynn Lewis.

“I’m pretty sure they called every day about the job,” Korzec said.

Korzec earned an interview and became an assistant director in 2005, acting director in 2006 and associate director in 2008.

During this time, she completed a successful annual giving program, working to further develop relationships with past donors on behalf of the Jacobs School.

This encourages them to donate again and stay connected with the school.

“The goal is to help people pursue a life in music. It’s very heartwarming that donors are giving individuals who they may not know the opportunity to do that,” Korzec said.

Korzec said development of these relationships has become less of a job and more of a career as she moved up the ranks in the school’s development office.

“Everything arrived on my doorstep, and it was my job to unpack it all,” Korzec said.

Amanda Schkeeper, Korzec’s assistant, said Korzec’s approach to her job is to look for ways to make donors’ experiences meaningful, and that made her good at her job.

“She’s always working, always engaged,” Schkeeper said. “It’s really a unique experience to watch her work. She’s really drawn to people.”

The Jacobs School of Music raised more than $7 million in gifts in 2008-09, due in part to Korzec’s work. By the look of the whiteboard planner in Korzec’s office, she doesn’t plan to stop there, saying her work excites and invigorates her.

“It’s part of my job to go see the opera,” Korzec said. “How many people can say that?”