Sunday, Sept. 29

Rapper Gibbs to visit IU

Gibbs

With rhymes compared to the late Tupac Shakur, Freddie Gibbs’ hard-hitting lyrics have earned him much recognition in the underground hip-hop world.

The gangsta rapper, who reigns from Gary, will return to his home state for a performance in Bloomington at 8 p.m on Thursday at The Bishop.

Gibbs, who was signed to Interscope Records in 2008, was dropped before he released an album.

Gibbs did not let that stop him from releasing two mixed tapes in the underground realm. In 2009 he dropped “The Miseducation of Freddie Gibbs” and “midwestgangstaboxframecadillacmuzic” on the Internet free of charge to listeners.

This year he released his first album, “Str8 Killa,” in stores and on iTunes. In addition, Gibbs also kept with his tradition of releasing mixed tapes and dropped “Str8 Killa No Filla,” an underground version of the album.

Langston Wilkins, a Ph.D. student in folklore and ethnomusicology, said he is excited for the upcoming Freddie Gibbs show. 

“I’ve been following him for about a year now, so I’m definitely excited to see him in Bloomington and be able to go,” Wilkins said.

Wilkins said his interest of Gibbs’ music began through hip-hop blogs. From there his interest flourished.

“It was the rawness of the music,” Wilkins said. “It was real kind of rough gangsta rap music that I typically like.”

Wilkins said he found Gibbs to be lyrical and accessible at the same time.

“He has a really down-to-earth character and I think is really appealing to a lot of listeners,” Wilkins said.

Caroline Shurig, director of the Live from Bloomingon committee of Union Board, said this concert fit in with the board’s vision.

“One of our goals this year is to bring high quality rap or hip-hop artists that are underground,” Shurig said. “Freddie Gibbs has been featured on multiple music lists as a rap artist, and he’s from Indiana.”

The Bishop is a small venue, and there are only 220 tickets being sold for the concert.
Shurig and Wilkins both said they feel that this will add to the atmosphere of the concert.

“It’s all about a big quality rap event,” Shurig said. “Rap shows don’t usually go well with ticketed seats. People want to move around.”

Wilkins felt that the smaller venue would make for a better show than a larger venue.
“Artists feed off energy of the crowd,” Wilkins said. “A good setting and closeness will only make the atmosphere more conducive for a good show.”