Wednesday, Oct. 9

Women’s basketball club begins first season at IU

The IU women’s basketball club, a  team that is stacked with mostly upperclassmen, describes their new club like being freshmen and “babies” all over again.

Since the club is new to IU for the fall semester, the athletes said they have flashbacks from their first years as freshmen in college. Like freshmen who become completely independent from their parents, help from the school has been little to their team.

“We were the last club to pick practice times since we were a new club,” President Kari Silvati said. “When we go to games we have to pay for our own transportation, food and entry fees.”

The players said they feel the school is being strict and very hesitant to dish out funds for their club’s financial needs. They also said they believe it’s teaching them the responsibilities of running their own clubs and organizations.

“We were not expecting any handouts or anything like that,” junior Paige Coapstick said. “We know we need to at least establish and prove that we can stand on our own two feet to get any benefits.”

Although the club is dealing with growing pains, the team members get a chance to join other women and play the game they love.

“I feel like I am back in high school again,” said Katelynn Peters, who said playing collegiate would have taken the fun out of basketball. “Competing at a high nature, pushing the other girls and just having fun is why I decided to be in this club.”

Though the women are very much experienced and comfortable with each other, the club’s coach, junior Austin Doberenz, said despite having experience coaching, he had some major doubts about coaching his peers.

“It was a concern at first,” Doberenz said. “After I ran a couple of practices and started to see that they respected me and listen to my advice, I started becoming more comfortable.”

Doberenz said he understands the legacy they will have on others, even though they might not be looked at as a collegiate club.

“They’re playing for pride and as if they have a chip on their shoulder,” Doberenz said.
Coapstick, whose father played on IU-Purdue University Indianapolis’ first men’s basketball team, believes they are making history.

“I can tell we started an IU legacy,” Coapstick said. “Being that I am a junior and it was started so late, I still feel we are doing something great.”

Being a part of legacy is more important to Silvati than the other women; she said she feels this is just the beginning to new opportunities for women at IU.

“We want to open doors for girls behind us to have the same opportunities,” Silvati said.