Sunday, Sept. 8

sports women's basketball

Women's basketball opens year with exhibition game at Assembly Hall

IU coach Felisha Legette-Jack jokingly said at the Big Ten Media Day on Thursday that her team’s exhibition game against Alaska-Anchorage would be the most important one of the season.

“We don’t look ahead to what game is going to change our season. We’re a coaching staff that takes it day-by-day,” Legette-Jack said.

“We are excited about our first challenge with another opponent. Alaska-Anchorage is an unbelievable Division II school that won 31 games (in 2008), and this is going to be a great opportunity for us to see where we are.”

With four returning starters, a healthy sophomore center Sasha Chaplin and a trio of freshmen post players on this year’s squad, they will be able to play with more size and depth.

Tonight, the Hoosiers will have their first opportunity to develop team chemistry and test their skill against Alaska-Anchorage at 7 p.m. in Assembly Hall.

The game will also begin the final season for the team’s four seniors, a group who was coach Legette-Jack’s first recruiting class. Senior guard Whitney Lindsay said she knows the added role that the seniors will play this year.

“I feel like the seniors who are here right now have a close bond on and off the court.
And I feel like that’s the energy that we’re going to bring this year,” she said.

“All four of us are having a tremendous role this year leading this young team. Personally, I have to be the one setting a good example on a daily basis because that reflects on how we do in games and ultimately the season.”

— Avi Zaleon