Sunday, Sept. 29

‘Christmas Carol’ to come to Buskirk-Chumley stage

“A Christmas Carol” is coming to thrill the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

The play is being performed by the Cardinal Stage Company and will haunt the BCT stage from Dec. 17 to Dec. 26.

The Christmas-time story of an old man who sees his future and experiences a transition is one that director Randy White said he’s wanted to do a production of but didn’t find a version he liked until now.

“‘A Christmas Carol’ is a perennial favorite for many theater companies,” he said. “A lot of people have asked about it. I finally found a version that I thought was worth doing.”

White chose a version of “A Christmas Carol” that breaks down the fourth wall between the actors and the audience.

By having performers go in and out of character to narrate the story, White said the play feels more like the original Charles Dickens’ text.

“The style keeps the story moving,” White said. “It’s very theatrical and very stylized.”
Planning for “A Christmas Carol” began six months ago. White did casting in Bloomington, Indianapolis and Chicago.

Ebenezer Scrooge is played by Chicago’s Roderick Peeples. The play also features IU students Jamie Anderson, a junior, as Belle, and Ethan Philbeck, a sophomore, as Dick.

“The play has a lot of opportunities for special effects,” Philbeck said. “It’s different from what a lot of people would expect to see in a story that a lot of people know. It is a powerful representation.”

White said the play is a big production, and it has had its challenges.

“The Ghost of Christmases to Come is 9 feet tall, and how do you make a man 9 feet tall on stage?” White said. “The only thing that has been really challenging has been the size and scale of the production. The play is going to be really beautiful but a lot of work.”

“A Christmas Carol” also features a live band and many Christmas carols, including old Victorian carols that are less common.

Philip Christiansen, who plays Tomkins and is a member of the ensemble, said he hopes the message “A Christmas Carol” sends will stick with people and that the audience enjoys the production.

“I hope they’re singing in the aisles when they leave,” he said. “It sends a very powerful message about Christmas, and I hope that it’s infectious.”

“A CHRISTMAS CAROL”
WHEN Dec. 17 to 26. Times vary with 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. showings depending on the day.
WHERE Buskirk-Chumley Theater
ADMISSION Premium performance days are $28.50 for adults and $16 for students. Regular performance days are $24.50 for adults and $14 for students. Super saver performance days are $21.50 for adults and $14 for students. All children’s tickets (ages 12 and under) are $12.
MORE INFO Tickets can be bought online at www.cardinalstage.org or at www.buskirkchumley.org. Tickets can also be bought in person at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.