Wednesday, Oct. 9

Column: IU will struggle to win any Big Ten games

If you're looking to circle wins in IU's Big Ten schedule, I don't know where to tell you to start.

Here's one suggestion: you can't circle any.

What may have been an understated reality before day one of the 2010-11 campaign became abundantly obvious after IU's 69-60 loss Monday in its conference opener against Penn State.

Simply, it will be a challenge for this team to win any Big Ten games this year.

In nonconference play, IU proved one thing: it could beat bad teams. Nine of them to be exact. Against better competition (Boston College, Kentucky, Northern Iowa and Colorado), the team struggled in multiple ways.

If that was just growing pains from one loss to the next, just adjusting to a new season and new team, then there probably ought to have been some improvement by now.

Even if it didn't come in wins, some signs that IU improved should be noticeable by now.

The problem is, the same issues that plagued the Hoosiers (9-5) against Boston College in the team's first loss plagued the Hoosiers against Penn State on Monday night.

Whether those issues - from slow starts to late-game lack of stamina from poor perimeter defense to bad offensive communication - are resolved in the next 17 conference games is yet to be determined. 

However, even if they are resolved, the impact might not be seen in the win-loss column which ultimately, of course, is the only thing that matters.

If the Hoosiers play like they did today or like they did in any of the four nonconference losses, L's could come in bunches.

Senior guard Jeremiah Rivers said he understood that if the status quo remains, it could spell trouble.

"Obviously we're disappointed in ourselves for losing a game, but it's Big Ten season," Rivers said. "It's no time to hang our heads. We don't have time for it. It's going to be a snowball effect. The losses will rack up if we just continue to pout and say 'woe is me.' We don't have time for it."

IU's schedule is daunting enough in itself, a tough schedule even if IU was a top 25 program. Up next is No. 2 and undefeated Ohio State (13-0) for a New Year's Eve contest. The Buckeyes present matchup problems galore for IU, especially in the frontcourt.

Following the Buckeyes, it's road games at No. 13 Minnesota and a pesky Northwestern team. Then it's home against over-performing Michigan, before another weekend road swing with No. 24 Wisconsin and Iowa. Then three more games against currently ranked opponents.

The schedule is brutal.

A home game against Penn State - a team IU beat on the road last season - was as good an opportunity as any. Penn State relies on one player, senior guard Talor Battle.

But it was his two supporting cast members, forwards Jeff Brooks (career-high 23 points) and David Jackson (15 points) - the only two other sure Big Ten talents on the squad - that buried the Hoosiers.

Sure, there's two games against not-so-great Iowa, but can you call those guarantee wins? Not right now.

I'm not saying IU is destined for an 0-18 conference season. Even the 2008-09 team won one game. This year's team will, at worst, win a couple.

But none are guaranteed wins. And the first one might not come for a while.