Sunday, Sept. 29

COLUMN: The gift that keeps on giving

I hate to say it, but we have reached that point in our relationship where we need to talk.

It’s been a fantastic four months, but we must part, go our separate ways and finally change our relationship status on Facebook.

Though that’s not to say that we haven’t had some great times, but now it’s time to say “it’s not you, it’s me” and try to get back all my clothes that I left at your place.
And there have been plenty.

The best part of this column for me was that I could ramble on about one of the simplest pleasures a person can experience.

Clothing is more than what we wear to bypass those pesky public indecency tickets, it’s how we make a mark on our everyday lives.

So as we finish off our tenure before the holiday season and a brand new year, here are a few resolutions that I want to challenge you with trying out in 2011.

One resolution for next year is to embrace a different side of yourself and wear something a bit out of your comfort zone.

Don’t be afraid to think outside the box and try a new look. Let’s be honest, if you still look similar to your high school senior picture, you are long due for a change.

Another resolution is to start a new trend. Anybody can grab a North Face and Ugg boots, so step away from the crowd and do something fresh.

Bring back brooches or start braiding thin scarves into your hair. Get people guessing what you might do next.

Also, take one day and dress up for no one but yourself.

Have you ever had to go to a formal event, and no one recognized you without the questionably clean sweatpants?

That’s probably a sign that you need to dress to impress a bit more often. So rather than waiting for your next banquet or parole hearing, organize a formal dinner with some friends and pull out something fabulous.

Now, usually I am all about saving a buck or twelve, but every now and then, a person should splurge on one item they can’t live without.

Next year, save up your pennies and splurge on an item that you would die to have in your closet.

Maybe it’s just a purse or scarf, but everyone deserves a little luxury.
It’s a recession, not the potato famine. 

The truth is, we only have one life to live, and from what my mom says when she thinks no one is looking, these are the best days we will ever have.

So why waste a day not feeling completely confident?

Let me tell you, that’s the gift that keeps on giving.

A SEMESTER OF FASHION

Before we celebrate the last year of civilization before we fall off the edge of the earth, or whatever is supposed to happen in 2012, I can’t forget about these major trends that gave me something to talk about in 2010.

JEGGINGS
Ah yes, the lovechild of stretch jeans and cotton tights ... who needs a cure for cancer when we have constructed this hybrid with our bare hands?

GLADIATOR SANDALS
Studs, straps and zippers, oh my! No matter how you wrap them around your ankle, these sandals were a big summer hit.

THE ‘BOYFRIEND’ LOOK
The trend of oversized blazers, jeans and T-shirts that slink off one shoulder has kept us interested during the year. I think it’s getting serious.

FLORALS
Whether it’s your dress, tights or boots, florals came out in a major way. It also gave a new edge when matched with leather anything.

CHAINS
For the tough biker in all of us, chains were just an edgy chic addition to any look. Bonus points if you get the “MOM” tattoo.