Sunday, Sept. 29

‘How I Learned to Drive’ opens Friday

How I Learned to Drive

Defensive driving 101: Drive with your head, not your heart, allow for stopping and leave an escape route.

Add to that automobile safety and sex and you have the Pulitzer Prize winning play “How I Learned to Drive.”

The play, which opens Friday at the Wells-Metz Theatre, is a poignant tale about Lil’ Bit, the main protagonist, and the relationship with her sexually abusive Uncle Peck.

“It’s not your typical narrative on the subject matter,” said senior Kerry Ipema, who plays Lil’ Bit. “What’s interesting is they take the stereotypes of victim and perpetrator away.”

In order to tackle the hard subject of sexual abuse, Mark Kamie, director of the production and who is a second year MFA, invited members of the psychological and brain sciences department and campus counselor to talk to the cast about sexual abuse.

“The counselors came in and talked about sexual abuse of women and men,” Ipema said. “One in four women have experienced sexual abuse, and one in six men.”    

Although the play is very dark, Vogel also adds a bit of humor.

The play consists of a cast of five: Lil’ Bit, Uncle Peck, Teenage Greek Chorus, Female Greek Chorus and Male Greek Chorus.

All of the actors in the production are undergraduates, which is very rare in the theater department.

“I think the fact that we are all undergrads shows the ambition that young artists have,” said senior Kelly Lusk, who plays Uncle Peck. “We are not guaranteed a role, but we work really hard to be seen.”

The Greek choruses are played by three actors who bring various people of Lil’ Bit’s past together and paint a more full picture of her life while adding a bit of comedy to the play.

“There is a difference in the way you view another person’s life,” senior Rebecca Masur said. “In all the other bits we are more characters, but when I actually am Teenage Lil’ Bit it brings everything back full circle and becomes real.”

“How I Learned to Drive” earned the 1998 Pulitzer Prize for drama and many awards for the actors and director of the original production. The play uses the elements of flashbacks, music and an ensemble cast to tell Lil’ Bit’s story.

“I think this play shows the importance of forgiveness,” Lusk said. “And the importance of your past, how it can affect you.”