Sunday, Sept. 29

Jewelry designer to visit IU Art Museum

Nature, ancient cultures, dreams inspire artist’s work

Dream Mullick’s jewelry has brought style and sustainability to the Angle’s Cafe and Gift Shop in the IU Art Museum.

From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Friday, fans will have a chance to meet the jewelry designer herself at the second annual “Meet the Designer” event inside Angle’s Cafe.

“I am usually doing trade shows and meeting with sellers of the jewelry,” Mullick said. “I am looking forward to meeting and getting feedback from the customers.”

Mullick began jewelry making after a trip to Indonesia 13 years ago.

Since then, she said she has been inspired to make jewelry by nature, ancient cultures and her own dreams.

“I spend a lot of time in Bali because our silversmiths are there,” Mullick said. “I get a lot of inspiration from my travels.”

Mullick is also conscious of the environment when creating and selling her jewelry. Catalogues and postcards are printed on recycled paper with soy ink.

Jewelry tags are made from recycled paper and contain wildflower seeds that grow when the tag is planted.

Mullick has also partnered with the nonprofit organization Trees for the Future.
The organization plants a tree for every piece of jewelry sold.

So far more than 14,000 trees have been planted.

Murat Candiler, the manager and buyer for Angle’s, said it is this commitment to the environment that makes Mullick the perfect designer to go along with the Themester theme of sustainability.

“For every aspect of her business, her love of the earth is shown,” Candiler said.
Art Museum employee Lyndsey Helling plans to attend the event.

“It’s great that designers want to do this,” she said. “There are really great pieces from all designers in Angle’s Cafe, and it gives the artists a chance to talk about what they do and why.”

Candiler said the event is for everyone, and because of a 20 percent discount off all items through Dec. 29 for IU faculty, students and staff, it is a great opportunity for gift shopping.

“To meet the designer and learn about her inspiration makes the jewelry all the more special,” Candiler said. “It only happens here once a year.”