Sunday, Sept. 29

Q&A with bassist Cory Murchy about album, tour, returning to Bloomington

Minus the Bear, which performed two years ago at the Bluebird Nightclub, is returning for a show Tuesday.

The Indiana Daily Student spoke with the bassist Cory Murchy about the band’s favorite shows of the tour, its new album and whether or not Minus the Bear plans to return to Bloomington.

IDS How has the tour been so far?

MURCHY It’s been great. The tour started in mid-October with Mexico City. We did the West Coast, the Southwest and Europe. Then we flew back, and we’re finishing the South and the Midwest. It’s been really busy.

IDS What has your favorite show been so far, and are you looking forward to a particular date?

MURCHY Philadelphia definitely brought it. Austin (Texas) was also great. It was our first time playing at Stubb’s. We’re looking forward to Cleveland. It will be a nice way to finish everything.

IDS You performed at the Bluebird Nightclub two years ago. Any reason why you chose to come back?

MURCHY We usually try to play as many all-ages shows as possible, but we came to the Bluebird because we hadn’t been in a while, and it was time to go back.

IDS Your new album “OMNI” has such a different sound. What was the inspiration behind the sound of that album?

MURCHY We were definitely listening to a lot more old funk and R&B when we made that album. A lot groovier styles of music. We recorded it live, and it was our first opportunity we had to save tapes of us playing together in a room rather than layering tracks. It has a more groove-oriented sound, and now we’re just promoting the crap out of it. It’s been pretty extensive.

IDS Do you think you’ll continue taking the sound of your music in that direction?

MURCHY One of the main things about Minus the Bear is we’ve been able to grow. We’re constantly wanting to play music that challenges us. We’re fortunate to not have a genre that we’re stuck to, and hopefully we mature with each record.

IDS What have you been listening to on the road?

MURCHY I’ve been listening to The Phantom Band a lot. They’re from Scotland, and our sound guy introduced me to them. You should check them out.

IDS Do you think you’ll return to Bloomington again?

MURCHY We’ll have to see how show number two goes.